Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Answered

Fixing leaky sink

My kitchen sink hot water side leaks. I need to change the handle so it can stop leaking. the problem is that the valve under the sink is stuck. So how can I turn off the water to repair the leak. It was suggested to turn off the  cold water that feeds into the hot water tank. Then open up the fuacets to let the hot water drain from the pipes and hot water heater. So this way the water level in the hot water tank will drop and I can fix the leak.  This wont damage my hot water heater with the tank half full will it. it shouldn't take long to fix the leak It just needs a new  washer in the handle.  and I am sure it wont take that long to replace the valve either.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-10T20:25:28+0000  by Gulana94 Gulana94

Hi gulana94,

Turning off the cold water to the water heater prevents water from flowing into the water heater and forcing water out to the faucets.

Do not open the cold water side this is not necessary, just open the hot water side of the sink faucet to relieve the pressure so you can repair the stem.

The vacumm in the hot water system will prevent the water heater from draining.

Good luck with your project.

Mike,

Best Answer

Posted 2013-06-11T00:35:35+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hi Gulana94,

Most homes have a whole house water shutoff on the exterior or in the basement. All you need to do is shut off the water supply to the house, complete your repair and then turn the water back on.

If you do not have a whole house water shut off the water can be shut off at the water meter.

If you must shut off the water at the water heater, opening the hot water faucet in the kitchen will only drain the water from the pipes higher than the level of the sink faucet. Usually the hot water heater will not lose any water.

A whole house water shutoff should be installed on every home. The building code requires it and it is a necessity in the case of a water leak, damage to the system or a natural disaster.

The shutoff valve under the sink should be replaced at the same time to prevent this problem in the future.

Mike,

Posted 2013-06-10T21:12:55+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

So if I turn off the  the cold water valve that feeds into  the hot water heater will that work though. would I have to turn on both the kitchen and bathroom sinks to let the hot water drain from the pipes. If I have to turn the water off at the main valve I want to do that as a last resort. The valve is hidden behind a cement utlity sink and itsa bit of a pain to reach. And why wont the  water heater drain is it because you stop the flow of water into it and the pressure is not there to force the water up through the pipes. This last  part I'm just courious about always interesting to learn how things work. Thanks for your help:smileyhappy:

Posted 2013-06-11T00:26:22+0000  by Gulana94

awesome thank you so much for your help. I just wanted to make sure I tryuly understood before I started this project!!

Posted 2013-06-11T00:48:41+0000  by Gulana94

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+