Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Garden Club

Flower Tower

I have planted flower towers for the last 2 summers.  I used Petunias the first year which became leggy, even though I was diligent in deheading the plants on a regular basis and didn't survive the summer.  The 2nd year I used Impatiens which developed a fungus and barely made it through the 4th of July.  What other flower would you recommend I plant this year?  I was disappointed in the results not to mention the time and expense involved.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-25T16:10:45+0000  by Gaily Gaily

Hi Gaily,

There was a problem with the impatiens crop last year (2014). There was an outbreak of Downy and Powdery Mildew that affected a majority of the impatiens crop. Read more on this subject here: 
https://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/fact-sheets/impatiens-downy-mildew

The problem has been rectified and impatiens is an excellent choice for your tower, especially in a shady location. Locating the Flower Tower out of full sun will also make it easier to keep hydrated. The impatiens can be trimmed aggressively during the growing season to manage their size. The blooms will be temporarily stopped, but they will start blooming after a brief period.

Succulents are another excellent choice for the Flower Tower. Sedum and cactus perform well on the tower. Ferns and air plants are also great choices, particularly in drier conditions.

Keep us posted,

-Travis

Posted 2015-03-27T15:47:31+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+