Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Flower bed

Hi

I live in Atlanta. My garden zone is 7b.  I am beginner gardener. I have a maple tree.. I want to add a  flower bed around the base of the tree. Could you please help me with that? Would you recommend having a flower bed around a tree? I wanted to plant multiple variety bulbs so they will come back year after year and I will also have blooms throughout the season. What all bulbs would you recommend? Half of the bed gets full sunlight, other half would be partial sunlight..  what type of plants can I mix with these so I'll have foliage or flowers in winter? Also the tree roots are above the ground level, how do I set up the bed? Also I'm worried if I'll be able to plant so many bulbs on top of a tree root... the tree is atleast 10 years old. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-03-30T04:41:51+0000  by rsaranya83 rsaranya83

Greetings rsaranya83,

Welcome to the world of gardening, and welcome to the Home Depot Community, we are here to help you get growing!

Competing with the established root system of a large tree is not an easy task, and because the roots are visible the soil is most likely compacted and drained of all nutrients, you will loose the battle if you try to plant anything among those roots. The tree will win the moisture war for sure and you certainly do not want to disturb the roots, or compromise an established tree.

Planting flowers beneath a tree is visually just what you want to do, and it can be done but it will take several steps and will need some yearly maintenance and up-keep. 

Provide a planting bed that is above the roots of the tree is fairly simple, I suggest planting right into bags of soil that have been laid down away from the trunk, but at the base of the tree. It may sound weird but if you can picture a series of bags surrounding, encircling the tree, providing planting pockets, that will eventually be covered with mulch, this can be done with beautiful results!

The Home Depot sells bagged "raised bed soil", I think this will be best bagged product for your project. Essentially you are going to create pockets of planting opportunity for flowers and bulbs.

The first part of this project is your design, do you want a ring around the tree, or just a few patches of color? Once you have determined the design you can calculate how many bags of soil you will need. Next place the bags in the space you want to plant, roll the bags and poke holes in the bottom for drainage, then slit the top of the bag so that you can plant directly into the bag, Place the bags flat, about four feet from the trunk base, the bags should overlap a tiny bit if you want a consistent ring of flowers.

If you want just pockets of color place prepare soil bags in spots that you wish to see flowers, once the bags are staged where you want plant them up!

Annuals like impatiens, lobelia and coleus for shaded are and marigolds, petunias and flowering vinca will thrive on the sunny side of this tiny garden that has been created with bagged soil, and the annual flowers will be quite happy for the entire growing season.

Daffodil bulbs which need to be planted in the autumn, will be happy to show their sunny faces in the spring, they are the hardiest of bulbs and just want to survive no matter where they are planted. I am not sure how many season they will survive in the bagged garden but they are sure worth the experiment! 

Hosta are the toughest of the tough when it comes to perennials for shade, if you provide a space for them, they will bring their best show! I believe they will work and survive for years on the shade side of the bagged planting bed. Sedum has the same tough resiliency as Hosta, but Sedum is the sunny side survivor, there are so many varieties of sedum to choose from some tall like, Autumn Joy Sedum and also low growers like, Dragons Blood.

Mulch is key with this whole bagged garden concept, mulched is used to camouflage (cover up) the growing bags once the flowers have been planted within. Mulch the entire area and just go thick and heavy around and over the bags.

The correct watering habits will take a bit to get down, the moisture will be held in by the plastic bags and the plants will need to be monitored, the plants need to have adequate drainage so if the soil seems soggy puncture additional holes in the bottom of the bag...the sunny side may be different than the shady side, just make sure the plants are not sitting in soggy soil.

You are creating some planting space with these raised bags of soil, the bagged soil garden should be succesfull for many seasons!

Let us know how things are growing,

Maureen

Posted 2020-04-09T16:53:42+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+