Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Answered

Front Porch Pots

I have two large pots on my front porch and wanted to get advice on the best types of plants for them. I like something with a little height but not more than 3 feet tall because of my side lights.  I had an arborvitae or something like that in them before and they died recently.  I do best with low maintenance!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-04T15:39:18+0000  by kfish kfish

Howdy Kfish,

After digging through some old post I see you put you’re in Georgia.   Depending on what kind of things you way to plant a small shrub may be the best.

There are many different kind of shrubs that are easy to maintain and that do not grow super big.  The biggest part will be picking what kind you want to plant and I have a few ideas that may be perfect!

Evergreens:  Green owl Juniper, Blue Pacific Juniper, Parson Juniper, Blue Star Juniper, Nest Spruce, Globe Spruce, Mugho dwarf pine, Eastern white dwarf pine, Golden Globe Arborvitae, Little Giant Arborvitae.

Broadleaf Evergreens:   Gumpo Pink Azalea, Gumpo White Azalea, Winter green Boxwood, Winter Gem boxwood, Common Boxwood, Emerald Gaiety Euonymus, Emerald ‘N Gold Euonymus,  Golden Euonymus, Boxleaf Euonymus,  Variegated Boxleaf Euonymus, Japanese Helleri Holly,  Dwarf Purple Rhododendron, PJM Rhododendron, Purple Gem Rhododendron, Rampo Rhododendron.

Flowering Shrubs:  Barberry Crimson Pygmy, Barberry Royal Burgundy, Heather Purple Bells, Heather Purple Torch, Bluebeard Blue Mist, Bluebeard Dark Knight, Cotoneaster Cranberry, Cotoneaster Coral Beauty, Cotoneaster Rockspray, Cotoneaster Willow Leaf, Deutzia Nikko, St. Johnswort, Sweetspire Little Henery, Potentilla Apricot Whisper, Spirea Magic Carpet, Spirea Anthony Waterer, Spirea Crispa, Spirea Goldmound, Spirea Goldflame, Weigela Minuet Red.

All of these are different shrubs that are 3ft and under in size.  Depending on what you’re looking to do you may want to take a look at some of these.  They vary from different colors and styles.  There is a vast variety of plants that can fill those pot and make your porch look amazing.  It may be to use a search engine like Google or Yahoo some of these names to see which you like best and go from there.  If you need any further info feel free to reach out to us here!

Best Answer

Posted 2011-02-04T19:51:01+0000  by FlyingHDsod

Greetings  Kfish and welcome back to our community.  

This is Mike with The Home Depot in Chicago and I’m here to help.   First things first, what climate zone are you in or state.  This will help to make sure we can get you the best plants for your area. 

Are you looking to go with flowers, shrubs, flowering shrubs?

Does this area receive a lot of sun, part sun, shade?

Any info would be great so we can get you that picture perfect front porch!

Posted 2011-02-04T16:14:05+0000  by FlyingHDsod

Hi Kfish,

It's nice to see you back on the community!

I see that Mike's handling your porch pots possibilities question. I just finished talking with him.

I was just wondering how your "suffering cypress" is doing ?

LawnRanger

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Plants-Vegetables/Suffering-Cypress/td-p/159

Posted 2011-02-04T18:55:19+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Hi there!

My suffering Cypress is still suffering. Only 2 branches still have green on them but I am holding out hope. I used the root stimulator like you suggested and just last week I put in a fertilizer stake as a last ditch effort. We have been getting so much rain I thought the poor guy would have rebounded by now.  I plan on holding out hope until Spring! 

Posted 2011-02-07T22:56:05+0000  by kfish

This is awesome - I'll look some of these up and see what they look like. I like the idea of an azalea as I have those in the flower bed near the front porch.  had not thought about them as a pot option!

Posted 2011-02-07T22:57:52+0000  by kfish

Along with the rain that we have received this winter, it has been especially cold. The cypress doesn't go dormant, but it won't grow much in cold weather. Spring is around the corner and then the cypress will show it's new growth.

It may require some pruning, but wait to see where the new growth comes out first. After the spring green shows, the damaged branches can then be removed to allow for more sunlight on the sprouts.

http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/leylan-cypress-re-growth-of-stripped-limbs/ 

LawnRanger

Posted 2011-02-08T13:16:14+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

thanks for the pruning tip and the link.

I am going to take a picture of what my neighbors call my Charlie Brown tree and post it to get your advice on what to do with it next! you have been a great help!

Posted 2011-02-16T21:58:12+0000  by kfish

It sounds like your pots must be pretty large to have held an arborvitea or similar conifer. How about growing an ornamental grass? You could try an annual such as the purple fountain grass (it's a perennial in zone 8 and warmer) or one of the bronze-leaved sedges, perhaps with a trailing flower at the base. Or you could opt for one of the many perennial ornamental grasses on the market.

Another favorite, if you have enough sun, is a dwarf Japanese maple. If you live zone 6a od colder, move it into the basement or attached garage for the winter (I learned that the hard way).

For more gardening info, check out the yard section of managemyhome.com

Posted 2011-03-23T18:34:15+0000  by Erin429

Re: Need plans to build a 10'long x 5'wide work table . Can anyone help.

Posted 2011-03-29T15:40:33+0000  by Blade404

I need to know about how to keep squirrels from digging in my plants. They are digging for the roots and scattering dirt on my deck/steps. I have tried cayenne pepper, powdered repellent (does not work). I have even tried spraying insect pesticide on the base of my plants. I am just short of using rat poison, but I dont want to harm my plants. Is there anyone who can help me? Thanks

Posted 2011-04-03T20:39:06+0000  by trinka7
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+