Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Getting the Most From Your Trimmer Line

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/f1ef99f9-39f3-4794-bb7b-ad30904dd640/svn/toro-electric-string-trimmers-51480a-1d_1000.jpg

This Toro string trimmer is auto feed, so the size of the string is limited to the size that originally came with the unit. The weight of the line is how the head senses when to feed out more line. Heaver, more durable string will not feed properly.

String trimmers cut with whip-like action. The end of the string rotates at a great speed and snaps off the grass blades like a whip.

If you move the string head closer to the grass being cut, the string bends in the middle and no longer is able to cut. Getting too close to hard objects will break the line.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/0ca203f4-24e2-4b36-bfe7-6b989b26ed77/svn/toro-electric-string-trimmers-51480a-c3_1000.jpg

Only the last inch of the string actually cuts. Allow the string to remain fully extended so that the string will cut more effectively.

Saw blades only have teeth at the perimeter, and lawnmower blades are only sharp on the ends of the blade. Cutting occurs only on the outer edge of the cutting circle.

Keep the string fully extended and allow the outer circle of the string to do all of the cutting. This will cut more effectively and will preserve the string.

These cutting principles apply to all string trimmers, so keeping the trimmer at the proper distance away from where you are trimming will allow the whip-like action to cut better and your string will last longer.

Until next time, I'll see you in the aisles!

-Travis

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-12-19T17:40:00+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL Travis_HD_ATL

Hey Travis,

Great advice, I think we all get to anxious and try to force the issue with string trimmers I will give your technique a try next time I am working in the yard.

Mike
Posted 2018-12-20T20:36:24+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+