Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Hampton Bay LED Flush Mount Lights On Even When Switch Off

I have recently purchased a Hampton Bay LED Flush Mount (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-13-in-360-Watt-Equivalent-Brushed-Nickel-Integrated-LED-Flushmount-with-Frosted-Glass-Shade-HGV3011L-2-BN/206667106). I have installed and confirmed that the wiring is proper using a volt meter and to confirm that the hot wire is connected properly to black (done this twice after problem noted). Currently, it is connected to a dimmer light switch (https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Rocker-Slide-Dimmer-Switch-10464/37699904). 

My understanding of the electrical configuration based on the room and checking all the wires with a volt meter is that my ceiling mount is wired for the power and the outlet is the end terminal with no power and just completes the circuit. (Also, I have switched the wiring at the outlet terminal to confirm neutral was not improperly wired and that has no made no difference.)

What I have noticed is that many of the small LEDs are still dimly lit even the light switch is off. Also, I have noticed that when I rotate the flush mount that the intensity and LED lights that are on can also change as well. The light and dimmer combination functions properly otherwise when in the on position. 

My guesses are: 
1) The LED flush mount is overly sensitive and needs to be returned and it may be better to go with a standard ceiling light mount and insert separate LED bulbs.
2) Or the dimmer control is not the best quality and needs to be switched for a better quality one since it may be allowing minimal current to the flush mount in the off position. 
3) Both are not good quality and should be returned for a standard LED bulb/light fixture and higher quality dimmer. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

This is a photo of the LED flush mount when the light is in the "Off" position. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-03-12T23:48:26+0000  by VP VP

Welcome to The Community, VP! We are glad that you are here. 

I had a similar situation where a light (attached to a rocker slide dimmer) would not go “totally dark” when off.  In my case, I had to reprogram the light levels by ensuring that the bulb selector switch was set to the LED position and then adjust the slide.  I am not familiar with your rocker slide dimmer switch but I suggest double-checking the programing and calibration levels first.  Your installation instructions will provide details.   

If that does not change the situation, contact our Hampton Bay Team at 1-855-HD-HAMPTON to discuss what is happening and possible solutions.

Best wishes on your project.

Posted 2018-03-13T17:04:17+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL
Hello VP.

Your LED light is getting power.  It cannot just dimly light itself.  Something is up with your dimmer switch that it allows small amounts of current to flow to the light when it should be completely off.  I would try a different dimmer switch.

Chris.

Posted 2018-03-13T17:25:39+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+