Sign In to join the community | Help

Hampton Bay Sussex II and 72" Hunter Downrod Extension

Electrician came out and said he could not put up the fan because the downrod had threads.  Called Hampton Bay and they told me I needed a 1" non threaded extension rod even though the fan came with a 3/4" 12" downrod.  Called Hunter to try and get the part # for an unthreaded rod and they couldn't help me.  Anyone have experience with this?

Obviously I need a 3/4" unthreaded rod.  Do I get longer set screws?  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-12-05T22:06:28+0000  by clarkm82 clarkm82
I'm a little confused, you have a Hampton Bay fan and a Hunter down rod.  Maybe the solution is to use a Hampton Bay down rod?  Or am I missing something?
Posted 2018-12-06T11:39:31+0000  by Adam444
Hello clarkm82.  Welcome to the Community!

All of the ceiling fans Home Depot sells that use down rods can use the universal extension rods sold either online or in the stores.  The are threaded and drilled at both ends, as how the fan is attached can vary.  These rods are all technically 3/4" pipe, as pipe size is based on the inside diameter.  If you measure the outside diameter, it will be about 1", hence the confusion.  I have no idea why your electrician could not use the Hunter brand extension, but if you buy a universal extension from Home Depot, it should work just fine with your Hampton Bay fan.


Posted 2018-12-07T14:11:41+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question