Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Hampton Bay ceiling fan won't stop

We inherited a Hampton Bay fan when we bought our house about 10 years ago.  Rceently, we could not get the fan to turn off.  We can turn on/off the lights via the remote, change fan speed etc...  But we can't stop the fan.  We shut the power down in the house hoping it would reset something,  But the fan just keeps on going.  Not sure what to do?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-24T18:37:01+0000  by vvalente vvalente

Good morning, and welcome to the community.

The solution to the problem will be a relatively simple one.  It usually is the result of a defective pull chain switch that has stopped working.   There should be a pull chain located on the side of the fan housing that operates the power directly to the fan.

*If there is a light associated with this fan, then there will be a separate pull chain located in the center of the fan that operates the light.

Here are the steps to getting the problem solved:

• First turn off the power source (the breaker).
  • Remove the fan housing (below the blades and in the center).
  • Disconnect the pull chain switch and take it into Home Depot.  An associate can locate the proper replacement model (there is a picture of one below).
  • Reverse the process.

After the fan is put back together and the pull chain is working fine…test how it is working.

original (1).jpg

Posted 2011-04-25T13:45:45+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Hey vvalente, Blake here from the California Home Depot. PaintPro is absolutely correct on how to repair a defective pull chain switch. However, I just wanted to add an addendum to his advice.

You said that the fan was controlled by a remote control. Assuming that the fan was working fine before, the problem is usually a defective remote control, or remote control receiver. We sell both in a package as a Universal Ceiling Fan Remote Kit. This kit comes with both a new remote and receiver.

The first step is to see if the remote was faulty:

-Open the battery cover of your remote control, under the battery will be a set of dip-switches

-Match the dip switch code from your old remote to the new remote

-Test to see if the fan stops

If the fan is still going at this point it is time to replace the receiver:

-Shut off the circuit breaker and mark the circuit breaker panel as 'being serviced do not tamper with', let everyone in the   house know your are working on electrical and they should not touch the breaker panel

-Test the fan with a voltage detector to insure that no power remains in the junction box or fan

-Set the dip switches on the new receiver to match the code set on your remote

-Pull down the canopy and remove the old remote receiver (it may help to take a digital picture of how the wires connect)

-Wire in the new receiver

-Replace the canopy

-Restore power and give it a test!

You may want to take a look at a recent video by shecandoit22 where she explains how the reciever fits in the canopy. HERE

I hope this helps vvalente! 

-Blake

Posted 2011-04-25T22:34:57+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy
electric_answers here , right on Blake. There sadly only 2 things that seem to be for ever: rust and the i.r.s. the government never seems to go away. Since your remote is neither it will fail, the solution is indeed a relatively easy one!
Posted 2011-05-02T19:21:11+0000  by elect_answers

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that is normally operated by remote control, but or whatever reason has stopped working. The fan up until recently was functional, only not by way of the remote, but rather by being left in the on position after the remote stopped working, and turned off, or on again, by the wall switch controlling the overall power directed to the fan.
I've looked up the price of a new remote control, and decided i would rather just figure out how to turn my fan back on, rather than investing another 45 dollars in a system that was seemingly set up for failure. My point : I dont want another mess, i just want to fix this one...
So, how do i turn on this fan?.... it doesnt seem to have any traditional pulleys or chains to initiate fandom. help!

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that is normally operated by remote control, but or whatever reason has stopped working. The fan up until recently was functional, only not by way of the remote, but rather by being left in the on position after the remote stopped working, and turned off, or on again, by the wall switch controlling the overall power directed to the fan.
I've looked up the price of a new remote control, and decided i would rather just figure out how to turn my fan back on, rather than investing another 45 dollars in a system that was seemingly set up for failure. My point : I dont want another mess, i just want to fix this one...
So, how do i turn on this fan?.... it doesnt seem to have any traditional pulleys or chains to initiate fandom. help! please keep in mind that my fan does not have strings of any sort....

Posted 2011-05-05T18:32:17+0000  by BBBrandt

Hello BBBrandt: elect_answers here, I am a Depot associate in the burbs of Chicago. I gather your fan is only remote controllable, and has no pull chain switches. It probably has a remote in 2 pieces, 1 half lives in the canopy of the fan . The other lives where ever you leave it. 

I am thinking it looks something like the image above. If I am right, your solution is to turn off the power. Take out the old remote by loosening the canopy cover and disconnecting the wiring from the house power, and then, the fan itself.  Then removing the remote, and installing a new one. Make sure before you put the new remote back in place in the canopy, that the sliding switches that give the fan it's control codes are the same in the remote and the canopy piece. ( They visible in the picture. )  

There are several options at your nearby depot store. I like the one that has a thermostat in it,  so that it only runs as the conditions in the room need it. 

Hope this helps, I set the system to alert me if somebody responds, Ralph

Posted 2011-05-07T03:16:45+0000  by elect_answers

Hey BBBrandt! Blake here again, Elect_answers is correct that replacing your remote and receiver will return the fan to its original working conditions. However, because you asked for a fix that did not require another remote I’d like to add that there is another way. The fan can be direct wired so that you will not have to rely on radio frequency to get the fan running.

How you direct wire the fan will depend on the fan itself. If the fan has lights built into it then you will probably need to leave the fan in an on/off only setup.

SAFETY NOTE: Shut off the circuit breaker and mark the circuit breaker panel as 'being serviced, do not tamper with', let everyone in the house know that you are working on electrical and they should not touch the breaker panel. Test the fan with a voltage detector to insure that no power remains in the junction box or fan before beginning your work. If at any point you feel uncomfortable or are unsure of your abilities please discontinue work and call a licensed electrician.

To set up the fan for on/off operation drop the canopy and locate the remote receiver. Take notes on what colors meet up with wires coming from your house, and the colors going to the fan (you may want to take a digital photo). Your task will be to remove the receiver and direct wire the fan into your home’s circuit. You should have leads on the remote receiver marked ‘hot to fan’ and ‘hot to lights’ (colors on these will vary, in elect_answers post they are the blue and black wires coming out of the right side of the reciever). The wires coming from the fan that connect to these will need to be direct wired into your circuit’s hot leg (black wire from ceiling). The neutral wires for the fan motor, lights, and your home’s neutral should all be connected together (solid white wires). All ground wires should already be connected together (green and bare wires). In this configuration turning on the light switch will turn on the fan and lights to full power.

Remember that in this configuration, turning on the light switch will turn on the lights and the fan to full power! I would also suggest wiring in a pull chain switch for the light kit. This can be retrofitted by drilling a hole in the light kit housing and inturrupting the hot leg to the lights (again if this is beyond your abilities don't do it). 

The alternate configuration would be if you had only a fan with no lights on it. In this case you would follow the same instructions on removing the receiver; however you would replace the light switch with a hard wired fan control switch which allows three speed control of your fan.

Three speed fan control (direct wired):

Taking all this into consideration, I would still reccomend that you replace the remote kit. As it will be most functional and require the least amount of electrical work. 

I hope this helps BBBrandt!

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Blake

Posted 2011-05-09T21:22:11+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hi, I have a wireless remote for the hampton bay ceailing fan and the light will not go off, please help.  all other functions work well with the remote.

Posted 2011-05-11T19:56:17+0000  by federicocamacho

Hello federicocamcho,

I apologize for the delay in answering your question. For your wireless remote, did the remote control suddenly stop turning the lights and fan off? It maybe a various number of reasons as stated by our experts in this post eariler, you can check those out, and one that maybe the culprit is possibly the receiver unit that is inside the fan. This can be replaced, but make sure all of your electrical connections are in good order first. And do this ONLY after you disconnect the power leading to the ceiling fan. Always refer to a licensed electrician if you have specific questions regarding wiring in-depth or just codes. 

After checking that, check back with us and see if it is still not functioning, if not, replace the receiver located inside the fan, but again, let us know if you have any further questions.

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-05-23T20:04:35+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Federicocamacho,

or to anyboy,

my hampton bay ceiling fan pilor 180-968 is not working properly.   i cant turn off the fan light.  everything else works.

any pointers?  please help

Posted 2011-05-30T18:36:55+0000  by javac

Hello javac:

welcome to the neighborhood,( what I call the forum.). I am a sparky working @ a depot in the burbs of Chicago. Your fans motor has a lifetime warranty. I am not sure how long the warranty for the remote controls electronics lasts. I am pretty sure that the control electronics have died. I do not know if the controls for your fan are in the body of the fan, or in the canopy of the fan? If they are in the canopy the solution will be fairly simple, if they are out of warranty. Just go to your nearest Depot store . Talk to an electrical / lighting associate. Choose a replacement unit, drop the canopy cover off the fan, after turning off the power to the fan! Then follow the instructions and swap out the controls, wire for wire, then replace the cover. Remember to keep track of the switch settings on both halves of the electronics, they must match.

Hope this helps, any other questions, check with the Hampton Bay Helpline, the number will be in your paper work for your fan. 

Here is one example of a possible replacement. The picture shows both the part that lives in the canopy, and the part that could get lost in the couch cushions .

Hope this helps, Ralph

Posted 2011-05-31T05:25:19+0000  by elect_answers
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+