Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Fun & Games

Hand Painted Clay Pots

Here is a fun weekend project that will get your house or garden looking great.

Clay pot Wow!.jpg

Skill Level- Beginner

Under-Over Rating- Under $25/Over 1 hr

Tools and Materials

Clay pot

Painters tape

Paint brush

Martha Stewart small project terra cotta paint

Step 1:  Start by figuring out what design you are going to make and then begin taping it off with your painters tape. I went with a very simple triangle and diamond design but let your imagination run wild.

Clay pot with blue tape.jpg

Step 2:  Once you have your design all positioned, it’s time to start painting. Start by putting a nice even layer of paint on all of the exposed areas. Keep in mind that you can create a different look just by changing the direction of the brush stroke. The terra cotta paint has a sandy texture so you are able to see the direction that the brush goes.

Clay pot painted with tape.jpg

Step 3:  Right after your finished painting you will remove all of the tape. It’s best if you remove it before the paint dries. If you wait too long the tape may take some of your design with it. If you’re going to paint a large pot you might want to paint it in sections. The terra cotta paint dries pretty fast so learn from my mistakes and do it in sections.

Finished clay pot.jpg

Step 4:  Let dry

Here is a large good earth clay pot with two different color paints.

Clay pot lavendar.jpg

Here is a small standard clay pot with one color.

Clay pot blue cactus.jpg

I also have a video showing you how I made the smaller one. Click her to see the video

This is a very quick easy way to brighten up your patio or your garden window.

So next time you have a couple of hours to play. Take a trip to your local Home Depot and pick up the supplies and then take some pictures of your creations and post them here on the community.   

I look forward to seeing all of your great terracotta pots.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-16T22:01:13+0000  by Christine_HD_OC Christine_HD_OC

Your home is where you can put the imprint of choices.Really done nice job there.The display you present for us is inspiring and very professional.My wife tell me about this to see and i see really awesome.This is really helpful to take nice ideas to make your home more beautiful.

Posted 2012-11-20T16:34:38+0000  by Anderson8100

What an truly innovative idea!   Had no idea these pots could be painted... but they are soooo much more attractive with your embellishments!  

Last week I purchsaed 3 clay pots on clearance as they were chipped, and now I will be able to paint them which will help to camoflage(sp?) the chips.  So, this happily is totally perfect timing! 

I haven't done many creative projects in years as I've always felt I missed the artistic gene.   Tried many different types of crafting,  but all efforts were a problematic struggle and I was always disappointed with the end results.  However, just about a month ago I decided to try a few projects... and in fact relearned how to crochet and just finished a small blanket that I'm actually happy with.   What great timing!

Gardening is my first love tho, so I am looking forward to customizing my pots, then transplant some young plants I have to help them get thru the winter.   Do you have any hints or tips you can share on the painting?   Last time I painted anything was in a ceramics class I took in approx. 1990!   Anything would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you so much for sharing your incredible idea!!

Happy Holidays!  Linda

Posted 2012-12-05T02:23:48+0000  by catladylgc

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+