Sign In to join the community | Help
Gift Ideas

Hanging Light Fixture in Concrete Ceiling

Hi, 

I recently purchased a non-hardwired light that I want to hang from my ceiling - its essentially a light cord with a wicker looking shade on it (not very heavy at all). Hanging this light has been a struggle and a half - I've made probably 8 trips to the hardware store with no luck. I first purchased a concrete drill bit and had no luck; I then rented a hammer drill from home depot to drill two 1/4 inch holes in the roof ($45 rental for 2 holes - not a great investment on my part). The experts at home depot told me to try screwing the hooks directly into the pre-drilled holes and if that did not work to use the DuoPower Contractor Strength Anchors. I cannot get the 1/4 inch anchors into the hole for the life of me - I've felt around the hole with a small screwdriver and it seems like the hole tapers off which is odd because I managed to get the drill bit pretty far in there with the rental hammer drill. 

I'm losing hope here! I don't know a lot about this stuff but my next two ideas were to purchase a 1/4 concrete drill bit (assuming that it will work now that there is a pre-drilled hole - can somebody fact check?) or to fill the hole with silicone and stick my hook into the silicone. Can somebody please give me advice on how to proceed here? I'm too invested in this to quit now.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-10-08T05:28:02+0000  by Kstitz Kstitz

There lots of different anchors for concrete although most are designed for applications that require far more strength than hanging a lightweight lamp.  As I read your message, it sounds like you already have some kind of hook that you want to use to hang the lamp.  Without knowing exactly what hook you have, it's difficult to say exactly but I'm guessing the screw part of the hook is something less than 1/4" in diameter.

What I would use is just a simple plastic anchor designed to go into a 1/4" hole.  This is just one example but notice on the package where it says "1/4 drill" which obviously means a resulting 1/4" hole.

There are plenty of choices and they don't need to come with screws, just be designed for a 1/4" hole.  Push the anchor fully into the hole (you may need a couple of light taps with a hammer to seat it).  Then screw in your hook.  It should support 8-10 pounds.

If you don't think that will work or there's something I'm missing, please post a picture of your hook with a ruler for scale or even better a link to the product page.

Good luck!

Posted 2020-10-08T10:55:48+0000  by Adam444
These are the hooks & anchors that I've been using. I just can't manage to get the anchor into the hole. Should I be using a different size anchor and if so what size would you suggest?

Posted 2020-10-08T16:50:50+0000  by Kstitz
I haven't used that particular type of anchor but my experience with plastic anchors is that if you drill the required hole size, they fit.  As I said, they might require a few light taps with a hammer to fully seat them.  There's no way to drill a tapered hole with a standard [masonry] drill bit.  Are you sure you used a 1/4" drill bit?
Posted 2020-10-10T00:21:23+0000  by Adam444
Hi Ksttitz,

You are using an expanding anchor for hollow walls, these will not work in concrete, as they are designed to expand sideway as the screw or hook is inserted.

Use regular plastic anchors, such as the Hillman plastic anchors below.

They do not have the side expander and will work for your project.

Mike
Posted 2020-10-12T18:41:15+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Thanks for the solution for this, it helps me a lot as i wanted to fix it at my home iMessage PC
Posted 2020-10-20T10:17:03+0000  by AmiAMEA

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+