Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Garden Club

Heather is drying out for some reason

The heather planted is drying out and what to do to save it.

Is the location issue? The similar plant nearby seems to be doing better

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-03-23T23:48:25+0000  by sheetal sheetal

Greeting sheetal,

I just love heaths and heathers; I gained a new appreciation for the tiny evergreens during a trip to Scotland, they are just beautiful

From your picture it looks to me like the heather may have been ‘wind whipped’, also is that a sidewalk or path the plants border? Could they have had some salt or ice melt sprayed on them during the winter?

The two plants that look totally dry should be pruned back, those dried branches will not re-bloom or turn green again, so prune those out.

Heather likes a sunny, cool, moist, well drained, acidic soil conditions, they should be covered with pine needles during winter months, while they are young and tender. A cold dry windy winter can kill them if they are not protected; that is why (I believe) the inner most plant looks a bit better than the others, because it had a bit more shelter than the outer two plants.

Amend the soil with a peat moss it will help acidify the soil and keep the soil moist, top dressing the soil with a hemlock mulch would also benefit the planting bed.

Heather takes a few seasons to become established with a little attention and care; I hope this helps you revive your little plants. If you have your sales slip and you bought them within a year at your local Home Depot, bring the sad plants back for a refund.

The Home Depot has a 1 year guarantee on all plants if they fail, as long as you have your sales slip and it is within a year, get your money refunded and buy another plant, we want you to have happy, healthy thriving plants!

Best of the garden season to you, let us know if you have any other questions or concerns,   Maureen

Posted 2016-03-24T13:24:56+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+