Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Help deciphering an old paint code...need a match, please!

Had some drywall repair done, and now we need to paint. I took the can to the store and the paint tech (?) scraped a some dry paint off the can to produce a match. It is really close, but it's not close enough. Too light. Below is the incredibly faded label that the old home owners conveniently also wrote on. :) So I don't know if we can use the old codes to make a new paint???

So, how should I proceed? Can I take the can I purchased back to be tweaked? Or do I have to start from scratch? Do I have to chisel off a piece of the current paint/wall to get that matched? 

I have tried deciphering the old label (took a close up pic, have been messing with the brightness, etc and here is what I think it says):

ORIGINAL
OZ (?)48 or 49 (?)96
BLamp Black (?)0 (9?)28 (?)0
CYellow Oxide (?)0 (9?)171
FRed Oxide0 (?)30
EThalo Blue010
IBrown Oxide020

NEW
CLRNTBLCLFL
0Z
384th

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-10T16:49:45+0000  by BobBobertson BobBobertson

Hello BobBobertson and welcome to the Community.

It would be very difficult to tweak the paint to get the exact color to match.  The paint you have is from 18 years ago and the technology of paint has change a great deal, since then.

I would suggest you use the new can of paint and repaint the room with the fresh color.  If you needed more you have that formula to mix addition cans. 

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2018-07-12T18:19:16+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+