Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Answered

Help with a faucet/drain leak!

I've got one of these fancy sinks in my bathroom:

photo 5.JPG

...and (as you can see in the pic) I'm getting leakage under it.

What's worse is that I'm also getting leakage under the counter, shown here:

photo 1.JPG

I got pliers and tried to tighten it, but the nut is so shallow that it's very hard to do. I can loosen it OK, but tightening it so it's super-tight is very difficult. And when I've tightened it as far as I think I can go, I test it and still find water leaking.

Desperate for help. :)

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-19T20:53:17+0000  by ddas ddas

Hi Ddas,

Yes , Remove the drain assembly also known as the popup assembly.

Place the ring under the bowl (use some plumbers putty under the ring to seal it) and then replace the bowl. When you reinstall the popup assembly use plumbers putty on it as well, inside the bowl as well as under the ring.

Once all the parts are secure you can wipe away the excess plumbers putty and you're set.

Let me know how it works out.

Mike,

Best Answer

Posted 2013-11-25T18:34:57+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hi ddas,

It appears from your photo the the sinks mounting ring is missing.

The mounting ring stabilizes the sink and seals the connection between the sink and the countertop.

They are universal and can easily installed by any diyer.

Mike,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fontaine-Glass-Vessel-Bathroom-Sink-Mounting-Ring-in-Antique-Brass-LNF-VSMR-AB/202996130#.Uo5y2Sdh024

Posted 2013-11-21T20:59:01+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Wow, interesting! I had no idea. (Been living here for a few years and have been constantly frustrated by this.)

I assume this ring goes on the top (i.e. flush with the countertop, under the glass bowl)? Not underneath the counter.

I've heard of "plumber's putty" -- is that needed to insure a solid seal?

Is it as simple as unscrewing from the bottom, removing the bowl, adding the ring, and re-screwing it all back in?

Mike, I can't thank you enough for jumping in on this and helping me with it.

Posted 2013-11-22T01:24:19+0000  by ddas
Hi Mike,

OK, I removed everything, bought a new gasket, sealed it, and reassembled it, and I think I've solved the leak on top. However, it's slightly leaking underneath. I posted the new problem in a new thread here. If you have a chance to take a look, I'd appreciate it!

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Bath-Faucets/Leak-under-sink/td-p/149063#.UqXxYaUgZFw
Posted 2013-12-09T16:37:06+0000  by ddas

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+