Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Outdoor Living

Hey guys I resently built a pergola and want to wire it for two outdoor ceiling fans.I know about the wiring part but how do I make it waterproof

Hey guys I resently built a pergola and want to wire it for two outdoor ceiling fans.I know about the wiring part butilt a pergola and want to wire it for two outdoor ceiling fans.I know about the wiring part but how do I make it waterproofilt a pergola and want to wire it for two outdoor ceiling fans.I know about the wiring part but how do I make it waterproof
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-07T02:33:22+0000  by Mkie Mkie

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.  Do you want to make the pergola waterproof or do you want to make the wiring waterproof?

To make the pergola waterproof, then you'd need to add a roof.  Without seeing the pergola I can't make specific recommendations but like a house, you'd add a deck of OSB or plywood, felt paper, and shingles.

Wiring can't be made waterproof or more exactly it is assumed that it won't be waterproof.  Everything has to be rated for a "wet" locations including the fans themselves and obviously GFCI protected.

Give us more details about your project and we go from there.
Posted 2015-06-07T10:23:17+0000  by Adam444
Hi Mkie!

Your solution is as easy as purchasing "Damp/Wet-rated" ceiling fans.

These fans were engineered for exposure to most things outdoors ... in their specifications you'll notice a "Damp/Wet" rating.

Click the link for several examples.

Posted 2015-06-18T15:46:27+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+