Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Holiday Light Recycling with The Home Depot

Hi everyone ChrisFixit here.  The holidays are fast approaching and we’re all getting prepared.  As you climbed into your attics and storage areas to grab those holiday lights, why not turn them into savings this holiday season.

From November 3rd – 13th  by trading in those old and inefficient incandescent bulbs towards ENERGY STAR qualified LED string lights you can spend less on the power bill and have a set of lights that will last much longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.

LED Holiday string lights:

• Use 80% less energy than traditional incandescent holiday lights
  • ENERGY STAR qualified
  • Can last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent lights
  • Cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire
  • Do not have moving parts, filaments or glass, so they are much more durable and shock-resistant than other lights
  • The amount of electricity consumed by just one 7-watt incandescent bulb could power 140 LEDs- enough to light two 24 foot strings

LED lights

With those benefits we make it easy to Save Green Live Green.  Also don’t forget that November 15 is “America Recycles Day” so make sure to get out and participate. Take care and Happy Holidays.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-31T14:18:32+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL Chris_HD_ATL

Do you take old lights without buying new ones

Posted 2011-11-09T22:26:55+0000  by barbeque

Hey there barbeque,

Glad to hear your interest in our recycling efforts =)

I have had shoppers bring in their older lights to my store before and not taken advantage of the purchase of new ones. We usually will give them a coupon voucher when they drop off their lights and then they can make their purchase of new ones using that coupon when they do.

I would check with your local store on this, just to double check that they don't perhaps have a different policy then we do out here. How many strings do you need to get off your hands?

If you're not sure which store is closest to you, check out our Store Finder tool and give them a call. They'd be more than happy to help = )

Posted 2011-11-10T16:36:49+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Hey everyone. 

For those of you who love to put up a impressive light display in the yard but can't find enough outlets to power these lights, you will be happy to know that you can string up to 5 times as many LED light sets together as you would with incandescent light sets. So take advantage of this offer while you can and know with the energy saved with these lights will just about pay for themselves by the time Christmas gets here.

Posted 2011-11-13T14:44:17+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

" Also don’t forget that November 15 is “America Recycles Day” so make sure to get out and participate" is rather ironic considering the holiday light recycling offer ends two days earlier. And, why only 10 days in first place? If Home Depot wants to show a real committment to encouraging energy savings then the offer should run for the entire period that you are selling holiday lighting.

Posted 2011-11-13T21:22:10+0000  by Saul

Are they still doing the recycling of old lights?

Posted 2011-11-16T20:57:57+0000  by dorothy08

cloverking101 - Glad to hear you've taken up the recycling approach. = ) All that money saved from bringing in your old bulbs really can help put a dent in all the other projects on your agenda. What's first on your list to have done with all your savings?

dorothy08 - Our light trade-in promotion ended on the 13th unfortunately. I'm sorry if you missed out this year, but we will definitely keep you posted when we start it up again next year = ) If you are just looking to recycle the bulbs outside of the promotion, I would advise you to call your local store and see if they are still able to take the old lights. Sometimes they have pick-up's a few days after the promotion end date and they may still be able to take them in to have them properly recycled.

Posted 2011-11-17T14:21:39+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

The Home Depot's Christmas Light Recycling program certainly is popular. I know I fielded a number of inquiries from people who missed it last year. So, spread the word! 

The dates for the 2012 Christmas Light Recycling event have been announced-- November 1 through 14.

As in past years, bring in your old working or non-working incandescent Christmas light strings and receive coupons worth up to $5 off new stings of energy efficient LED Christmas lights. 

-Craig, from the Apron blog.

Posted 2012-10-18T15:02:20+0000  by HomeDepotCraig

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+