Sign In to join the community | Help

Holiday Projects that Glow in the Dark

I love to decorate for the holidays but first I have several rooms that need a new coat of paint.  Picking out new colors and tackling faux techniques are a favorite project for me.  I even keep an idea file from magazines for inspiration (and motivation).  In the bottom of the file were notes from one of the most unusual and unique paint projects that I have ever seen.

Several years ago I was privileged to stay in a guest room that was decorated for a star-struck tweener.  During the day, the ceiling looked like a pre-teen girl’s bedroom.  But at night, the stars came out – literally!  The father had painted the ceiling with stars and planets that glowed – just like you were sleeping under the evening sky.  Their universe came alive with Rust-Oleum Specialty Glow in the Dark Paint.   The same paint will work great on upcoming Halloween products - create an instant glow for little trick-or-treaters! 

Glow Ideas stars.jpg          Ghost.jpg

Coverage

The Rust-Oleum Specialty Glow in the Dark Paint is available in a half pint can which should cover approximately 25 square feet (in 2 coats – see Painting Tips below).

SPC_GlowinDark_L.gif    painter touch primer.jpg

Surface Preparation

Suitable for indoor use only, the paint can be applied to wood, metal, drywall, plaster, masonry, or unglazed ceramic.  Clean the surface and let it dry. For best results, apply the Rust-Oleum Specialty Glow in the Dark Paint over a white or light covered surface.  If painting on bare metal or bare wood, first prime the surface using Painter’s Touch primer.  Note: this product is NOT intended for use on fabric. 

Painting Tips

Be sure to stir the can with a paint stick so the contents are well mixed – make sure there is no settling on the bottom.  This product is intended for indoor use only and should be applied at room temperature for proper drying. 

You can brush on or roll on the paint using a good quality synthetic brush or 1/4" - 3/8" nap roller.  The paint dries to the touch in 45 minutes.  Apply 2 coats - 45 minutes apart - to achieve the maximum glowing effect.  The latex formula can be cleaned up using soap and water.

Glowing Success

To “glow,” the painted object will need to be fully charged.  Expose the object to direct sunlight or bright (fluorescent) lights for 2 or more hours to charge.  The glow should last for up to 2 hours.

For a ceiling or on objects that will not be “touched,” the glow should last a long time (my friend’s universe lasted for several years).  Objects that are handled frequently may not glow as long.

Safety Tips

Always follow the manufacturer’s complete instructions, work in a well-ventilated area, and wear proper safety equipment (glasses or goggles, gloves, and old clothes).

I’d love to know if you have used this product .  Be sure to send us a photo so we can admire your “glow” too!

harrowprint.png

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-04T21:14:07+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL Eileen_HD_ATL

This is a great idea for using the glow in the dark paint. It's unfortunate that it doesn't work on fabric. I can image all kinds of neat kids costumes.  I agree, Please send photos of your great uses.

Posted 2011-10-06T17:35:17+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Hello foodieken!  We have been experimenting with the Glow in the Dark paint.  We "painted" a piece of drywall that was cut into the shape of a pumpkin.  It glows but doesn't scare anybody - yet!

Posted 2011-10-18T17:51:16+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL
In another thread we discuss a similar creative project:

How To Paint Stars On The Ceiling.
Posted 2015-12-22T20:14:16+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+