Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

How To Build A LED Infinity Mirror

An infinity mirror is a project that adds a lot of visual punch to a room. These can be made as large wall mirrors, small desk lamps or in my case as part of a shelf system. Below is a general overview of the steps involved. This is definitely a project where the creation is totally up to your own needs and wants, so adjust dimensions and design as you see fit.

The effect works by two parallel mirrors reflecting continually smaller reflections of on another. Anything placed between the mirrors is multiplied in the reflections seemingly fading off into the distance beyond sight.

TOOLS:

Table Saw or Circular Saw

Drill

Finish Nailer or Screws

Clamps

120grit Sandpaper

Metal Ruler or metal straight edge

Utility Knife

Glass Cutter

Hot Glue Gun

Soldering Iron

Tape Measure

Pencil

MATERIALS:

¾” x 12 x 8 MDF Board (This can really be whatever size and material you chose. The box I built is made to blend in with other décor pieces I already have.)

Mirror

Plexiglass

Mirror Window Film

LED Light Strip

Electrical Solder

Wood Glue

Wood Filler

Paint

STEP 1

Cut the wood down to size based on the size box you want to create.

STEP 2

The mirrors in the box are held in place with a channel running around the inside perimeter of the box. To create these channels I set the depth of my table saw blade to ¼”. I then ran each piece of the box through the saw before then adjusting the fence slightly to make the channel wider.

Keep the adjustments small and test the fit of the mirror and plexiglass after each pass. Remember that the back channel is for the mirror and the front for the plexiglass. The closer the mirrors the denser the reflection tends to be. I spaced the channels about 4” apart.

STEP 3

When measuring for the dimensions of the mirror and plexiglass, remember to add the additional depth of the surrounding channel.

To cut the mirror you will need to use a glass cutter. Mark the cut line on the mirror and using a metal ruler score the mirror. Make sure to wear gloves and lightly sand the cut edge of the mirror.

Next cut the plexiglass. If the sheet is thin you can use a utility knife to score and snap the plexiglass. I used thicker ¼” plexiglass and was able to make the cut using my table saw and a fine blade. Check the fitment by loosely assembling the box before proceeding.

NOTE: You can purchase both mirror and plexiglass tiles and panels in factory cut sizes and build your box around that. If you don’t need a custom look this is much quicker and easier.

STEP 4

The infinity illusion requires being able to see into the box at the bounced reflection. To accomplish this the plexiglass and reflective film are used to create a “two way” mirror. Use the directions included with the window film for application.

STEP 5

Paint the inner faces of the box parts with black paint. Make sure to get a thin coat of paint into the plexiglass channel. Allow everything to dry. Use painters tape to mask any areas you don’t want paint.

STEP 6

Assemble three sides of the box. Use wood glue and finish nails for the assembly.

STEP 7

Apply the LED strip along the inside of the box. I placed the tap centered between the two mirror channels.

Temporarily place the mirrors and fourth wall of the box into place to get the location of the exit hole for the LED power cord. Remove both mirrors and clean them well. Replace the mirrors making sure the filmed side of the plexiglass is facing into the box. Cut an exit hole/path into the final box wall.

STEP 8

In my case the length of the LEDs required I cut the strip and do some soldering. This can be avoided by measuring out the LEDs and cut locations beforehand. If you need to solder make sure to keep the wire alignment in order and test the lights for proper operation.

STEP 9

Carefully place the final wall of the box into place applying the remaining LED strip as you go. Be mindful of aligning the channels to the mirrors and any wire. Secure with finish nails.

Connect the transformer to the end of the light strip and hot glue into place. My infinity mirror will be placed on a wall so I drilled two small additional holes. One for the IR receiver and another for the plug to pass through.

STEP 10

Fill any imperfections with wood filler and apply paint.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-07-08T20:18:21+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL Chris_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+