Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

Answered

How To Create A Distressed Herringbone Craft Table

One of my regular customers, Savannah, is an artist who is a self-proclaimed Pinterest junkie.

She recently shared these photos of the Herringbone Craft Table she created.

In the next step, she sanded to distress the surface and age the piece.

Herringbone Craft Table.jpg 

Herringbone Craft Table - great color selection!

Herringbone Craft Table - Distressed

Herringbone Craft Table Distressed.jpg 

I absolutely love the aged beauty of this piece!

The key: fabulous color selection that helps define the "intended age" of the table.

THE NEXT STEP ... ?

Savannah's distressed craft table is ready for everyday use just as it is.

However, should she wish to apply a protective clear coat, simply wipe off any remaining sanding dust with a dry terry towel and apply a protective clear coat.

When coating more traditional creations, I most often recommend a satin or matte sheen for distressed pieces.

These lower sheens add to the aged appearance ... preventing the piece from appearing too shiny (and new).

A SHINY OPTION:

Since Savannah has two beautiful, active children, she might also consider Rust-Oleum Triple Thick Glaze.

This spray product is designed for craft projects and creates a glass-like durable clear coat.

This (relatively new) high-gloss glaze will reflect more light and make the colors POP!

Each can covers approximately 20-square feet and the surface will fully dry in 24-hours.

Thanks Savannah!

I can't wait to see your next creation!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-25T17:55:55+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

In a follow-up conversation, Savannah revealed that this creative Herringbone table was originally her table growing up.

She found it in her parents' garage, covered with car oil, and paint.

After years as a storage spot, she brought it home and sanded it down. But she had difficulty removing the oil spots.

She used leftover brown deck stain, figuring, "If it could handle outdoor elements, it surely could handle our kids."

She added, "It covered the table great" ... but after a year she decided to freehand the Herringbone pattern with a Sharpie and used several craft paints to "mix the colors as I went."

As you can see her choices included bright blue, green, yellow, silver, gold, brown, grey, and black.

HERE ARE TWO OF HER PROJECT METHODS:

"I didn't mix (the paints) thoroughly to leave variations of colors inside each shape. It was very random," she added.

Later, she used a mouse sander and "Went at it," removing some paint, and creating scuffs and divots with a steak knife.

She is "living with" her creation for now ... which likely means she may respond to another creative urge at any time.

Hopefully, she'll share her next creation and technique so we can all learn "How To."

Best Answer

Posted 2013-08-01T17:56:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Savannah visited The Paint Pit a few days ago and said she has two new projects in the works:

1) Using Harbor Gray semi-transparent stain to "age" wood and give it a sun-faded appearance; and

2) Creating a "Penny Floor" which will require more than 100,000 pennies.

Can't wait to see what she will DIY next ... very creative!
Posted 2014-06-26T18:02:47+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
If you like How To Create A Distressed Herringbone Craft Table
you might also like:

Posted 2015-06-04T16:42:46+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
If you like this thread, you may also like:

How To Faux Exterior Doors

Posted 2015-10-08T21:33:42+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

If you like Savannah's creation, you'll probably also like these threads:

How To Create Unique Faux Finishes

Faux Finish Trim and Cabinets

Martha Living Faux Finishes Showing Up In Stores - be certain to see the faux tools video

WOW! Faux with Martha Living Metallic Glaze

Posted 2016-01-28T18:35:36+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+