Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

Answered

How To Paint Stars On Your Ceiling!

ML's Specialty Finish products are all very concentrated ... I would describe them as "thicker than paste."

While these products are great applied full-strength to small crafts as accents, this product needs to be thinned before application over a larger area ... it is so thick that it simply will not spread evenly.

How To Paint Stars On Your Ceiling:

Recently, a Dad and his early-teenage daughter arrived at The Paint Pit and wanted to apply a coat of Antique Silver Glitter over her bedroom ceiling to create a "starry night" sky.

I encouraged them to begin by applying a base coat of Dream Catcher 740E-1 using a satin finish. 

After four-hours dry time, her ceiling had a slightly shiny finish in a pale gray ... the shiny surface creating the perfect base for application of her "stars."

Because the MS Antique Silver Glitter craft paint is so thick, I recommended they thin the glitter specialty product using ten-parts Faux Finishing Glaze to one-part Antique Silver Glitter craft paint. 

This mixture allowed them to use a nine-inch roller and spread a smooth, even coat across the entire ceiling ... creating her "starry night" effect.

I also encouraged them to tape the top of the walls so they could roll right out to the edge of the ceiling without the need to cut-in. Because faux glaze dries in about thirty minutes, they would never have time to cut-in and then paint the ceiling before the cut-in dried. Had they cut-in and then painted, they would have created a hard edge that looked like a straight line around the outer edge of the ceiling ... a hard line that would not blend with the remainder of the faux glaze applied to the ceiling.

NOTE: When painting with faux glaze it is very important to have either a satin or semi-gloss finish as a base coat. This much sheen allows the faux glaze to "slick around" over the base coat. If you apply ML Specialty Finishes or faux glaze mixtures over a lower sheen, like flat, the product will embed into the finish and create noticeably thicker and thinner streaks rather than roll out a smooth, even finish.

Dad and his daughter used about a gallon of faux glaze and about four of the half-pint containers of Antique Silver Glitter to create their effect. Upon returning to the store they were both noticeably excited about the impact this made in her room. Dad's only surprise was the amount of product he used to cover her ceiling.

Because I've seen it done, I'm confident you too can obtain an outstanding result on your ceiling.

Simply follow these steps:

1) Tape the perimeter of the wall and repaint the wall using a satin or semi-gloss as your base coat;

2) Allow the base coat to dry at least six-hours;

3) Thin your Antique Silver Glitter using ten-parts faux glaze to one-part glitter craft paint;

4) Keep your roller saturated with the faux-glitter mixture and apply a medium-thick coat;

5) Begin on one side of the wall and work quickly across the wall overlapping about one-fourth inch to blend wet faux-Glitter on the wall with newly painted faux-glitter as you roll;

6) Allow the surface to dry without "retouching" the wet wall ... overworking the product will create streaks;

7) Should you want a denser glitter pattern: leave the tape in place, wait six-hours for the faux to completely dry, and follow the same procedure again; and

8) Should you want additional protection, apply a coat of water-based polyurethane in a satin, semi-gloss, or gloss finish.

BE CREATIVE!!! Use a first coat of antique silver glitter and follow that with just a touch of two other glitter colors for accents.

Once you complete your "starry night," be certain to post photos and a description so The Community can share your success!

This post is an excerpt from another answer recently given to a Community Member. Because that post is buried deep within another (unrelated) thread, I am re-posting the basic instructions here for additional discussion.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-07T15:01:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

If you like How To Paint Stars On Your Ceiling,

you may also like:

Painting a Mural Inside The Bug Bus (VW Van)

Best Answer

Posted 2015-08-18T21:53:01+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hey PatinPaint,

That was a fantastic, sparkling,****starry night**** technique that you just laid out!! And what a wonderful father-daughter project, with memories to last a lifetime! When my children were young we didn't have such wonderful product as; the Martha Stewart Glitter Collection,( I wish we did) but I was able to get glow in the dark paint. We had small stars painted on the ceiling..They weren't even visible during the daylight hours. After hours of evening play, bath, jammies and homework, when the bedroom lights went out the stars came to light!! Almost as good as camping, the glow didn't last forever but hopefully until they were into dreamland....So maybe, an added bit of glow in dark paint will enhance your beautiful project when the lights go out! Thanks for such an in-depth instructional description, and thanks for wakeing up a few old,starry memories********

961aae87-1615-476a-b8c6-5569fda49e26_300[1].jpg

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Posted 2012-06-07T17:24:38+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

You are soo welcome BR!!!

In the post, I describe using additional colors of glitter to create dimension ... Rust-Oleum Glow In The Dark is exactly that kind of idea.

I could see several glowing galaxies depicted on a ceiling.

You know, I use an iPhone app that orients me toward constellations ... combining a tool like this might even allow you to create geographically correct constellations.

As for creating the feeling of camping ... where I camp all you'd have to add to your constellations is a forest full of lightning bugs and a pair of Whip-poor-wills calling out their name back and forth through the night!

Posted 2012-06-07T18:30:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Okay, I have been wanting the stars in my ceiling for over 20 years now. I am ready to do it. Is the glitter only visible at night in complete darkness?

I am unclear on products used, amounts and sequence.  Am I correct as follows:

My room is 13ft x 20ft.

1. Dream Catcher 740E-1 in a satin finish (it appears to be available in only 8 0z) how much will i need or does it come in gallon container.

2.  Mix Silver Shimmer Glitter (10 oz) with Faux Finishing Glaze (1 gal.). Using 4 Shimmer Glitters to 1 gallon faux finishing glaze

Done!

Thanks.

Posted 2013-03-02T21:35:55+0000  by earlegirl2

Hello!

Can you recommend someone who can do this for me? I live in Austin.

Thanks!

Posted 2013-06-02T17:35:18+0000  by liann
Hi Liann!

The Home Depot now offers RedBeacon.com as a contractor resource for small to large projects.

Simply go to www.redbeacon.com and click request a service.

You'll be able to describe the project and get estimates from local contractors.

And before you choose, you'll be able to read reviews from other local customers.

If the internet isn't readily available, call 1-855-RBEACON.
Posted 2014-11-26T19:04:38+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Yes earlegirl2,

Your sequence is exactly correct.

Commonly, I recommend finishing glaze with "smoothing strokes" all in one direction and overlapping about one-fourth inch.

However, that might make your starry sky too uniform.

So try a few random swirls here and there.

Don't overlook the option to apply more than one coat ... possibly even more than one color to create your perfect night sky.

A two-foot square of repair drywall offers an excellent way to test your mixture and pattern before you faux the entire ceiling.

NOTE:
A longer nap roller cover, like 3/4-inch nap, will pull at the faux and make more textured star fields.
Posted 2015-06-02T22:50:40+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
If you like How To Paint Stars on Your Ceiling,
you may also like:

How To Create Unique Faux Finishes;

Faux Finish Trim and Cabinets; or

How To Spice Up Furniture Using Chalk Paint

Posted 2016-01-28T18:33:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+