Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Outdoor Living

How do I build a connected home?

I want to have everything automated and connected. I currently have a nest, but what else do I need and what will it cost?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-09-21T14:52:28+0000  by sl1m sl1m

Asking what it would cost to automate you home is kind of like asking what a new car costs, the answer depends on what you want.  Do you want to control every light in every room from anywhere?  How about "scene lighting" where lights adjust for a romantic dinner or watching a movie?  Do you want to automatically close the blinds every night at sunset?  Maybe adjust the temperature of your water heater from the Gobi Desert?

While I'm not an expert on home automation, I think you'll find it gets pretty expensive pretty quickly.  If you're looking to save money, you might want to put pencil to paper (or use Excel) and do the math but I think you'll find the return on investment is pretty far out.  If you're more excited by the technology or just the "gee wiz" factor, then the sky's the limit (and your budget, of course).
Posted 2015-09-25T10:33:16+0000  by Adam444

Hi sl1m,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

Just like anything to do with home improvement, its up to you to decide what items and types you wish.

Our website has a great deal of information regarding what to choose when starting up home automation. Click here to view a basic overview of it.  You can also click here to view our main page that gives you options.

It's personal choice at the end of the day, so let us know if you have any specific questions.

Joseph

Posted 2015-09-26T23:13:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+