Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

How do I get rid of Sprouting maple seeds?

I have Maple plants sprouting all over my yard. How do I stop them? HELP? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-04T21:36:03+0000  by jshocker jshocker

Howdy jshocker,

Tree seedlings emerging from tree roots that appear in a lawn or other area of home can be an eye sore and get in the way of lawn work.

Mechanical removal is often the usual option to remove the plant with a weed trimmer, lawn mower, or even a shovel. However a chemical control option could be what you’re looking for.

I would water the area with the tree sprouts slow and deep a day or two prior to dealing with.  It is easier to pull unwanted plants out of wet soil and plants are susceptible to herbicides if they are not under drought stress.

When the soil is moistened, pull or dig up small tree saplings by hand (I use gloves when doing yard work), and make sure to remove as much of the root system as possible.

Now cut off the ground level large sprouts too big to pull out of the ground.

Next I would apply and undiluted herbicide such as Round Up to the freshly cut surface of the unwanted sapling if you are sure that it is growing from a seed.

If the sapling is growing out of the root system of the tree we don’t apply the herbicide. The best thing to do is to cut the sprout off at the soil surface.

Lastly, monitor the grassy areas to see if any new seedling are growing and pull them as soon as you see them.

Happy Growing,
Coach Dave
Posted 2018-05-07T18:47:51+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Hello jshocker.  Welcome to the Community!

Pulling out the seedlings by hand is both easy and tedious to do.  It is the best way to get rid of them.  You could simply keep mowing over the ones on your lawn, and eventually they should give up.  If you find the seedlings hard to pull out, then most likely they are attached to the tree's root system.

As Dave said: "
If the sapling is growing out of the root system of the tree we don’t apply the herbicide. The best thing to do is to cut the sprout off at the soil surface".

Any application of an herbicide like a glyphosate to sprouts from the root system will KILL your maple tree.

Chris.

Posted 2018-05-08T13:51:36+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Hi jshocker.

According to several certified arborists’, the best way to deal with this type of tree shoots is to cut them off as close as possible to the base of the root from which it came. 

If a tree is stressed from weather damage, drought or even insect damage, a maple, along with other hardwood trees like oaks will try to re-generate themselves by sprouting. To the tree, the shoots are a way to deal with the damage.

The good news, if your trees that have sufficient sunlight, water and nutrition, they are are less likely to sprout. 

Caring for your maple tree can indeed be a bit tedious, but with great care, you can have a beautiful tree, perhaps for your lifetime.  

Bonide makes a sucker stopper product available online.

Be sure to attend to these sprouts immediately while you can still cut them with your nippers, otherwise you will have to dig them up and cut them with a saw.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2018-05-08T20:08:03+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Greetings jshocker,

I have read all the great advice from my fellow Home Depot Community team members, I would like to offer a bit of advice myself.

When it comes to Maple trees it is better to pre-act, than re-act, a good fall cleaning will help alleviate the maple seeds from sprouting in the spring.

We called them “helicopters” as a kid or “Pinocchio noses”, the seedpods from the maple trees. The pods can travel far when falling from a large maple tree, so in the autumn when you think you have raked all your leaves, check again for the seed pods , they are sneaky, they can fly in from a neighbor’s yard.

Pulling the saplings by hand is a slow process; you will never want to do it again! Do a good clean up and it will cut the the pulling in the springJ

Best of luck,

Maureen

Posted 2018-05-10T16:50:29+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+