Sign In to join the community | Help
Lumber & Composites

How long do I need to wait before staining pressure treated wood?

I'm replacing a board on my deck and want to know how long do I need to wait before staining pressure treated wood?

Thanks,

Jake

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-29T12:48:52+0000  by jbbarth jbbarth

I replaced several boards on my deck last spring.  After installing them I immediately stained them to match the old.  It is late September and I haven't had any problems with the staining of the PT'd boards.

Posted 2013-09-29T15:53:03+0000  by MTP

The main concern with pressure treated wood is the moisture content. If the wood feels dry to the touch and water does not bead on the surface, you are probably OK to stain.

Posted 2013-09-29T16:40:01+0000  by ordjen

Can I install them on my deck now and then stain them in the spring when I plan to re-stain the entire deck?

Posted 2013-09-30T14:21:58+0000  by jbbarth

Certainly. It is pressure treated and would last for years if you did absolutely nothing to it. Staining in this case is largely for appearances, although it will slow down the aging of the wood and cracking of the grain.

Posted 2013-10-01T02:12:11+0000  by ordjen
Hello Jake,

Years ago the pressure treating process injected much more moisture into the wood and the recommended wait time before staining was 90-days.

Today, the process injects considerably less moisture and the wait time has been reduced to 30-days.

But if you have any doubt, tap the tip of a nail into your new pressure treated boards ... if water rings around the entry point, the boards are too wet to stain.

NOTE:
I would always clean your deck before staining to ensure you remove mildew stains before applying a new coating.
Posted 2016-03-10T22:44:47+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+