Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How to Paint Design Over Semi-Gloss Cinderblock wall

Hello,
I am a teacher and the walls of my classroom are cinderblock that have been painted with Semi-Gloss latex paint. I would like to paint a design on my wall (a big tree) but do not know what paint to use. I am not able to sand or prime the wall first since I will just be painting a design over the existing paint and not repainting the whole wall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-08-04T15:00:36+0000  by Teacher20 Teacher20

Hey Teacher20,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

You'll need to make sure that the wall you will paint is first clean so that any paint can successfully go over it. Using products like TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) is an effective and safe way to prepare the wall for whatever top coat will go over it. 

Since you can't sand the wall, I still recommend you placing an oil or shellac-based primer over it. Without it, the new paint will not bond correctly, and can easily peel and fail within a short amount of time.

Luckily, primer comes in small sizes (like quarts) and can dry within 1 hour so your new top coat can go over it. I HIGHLY recommend you do not skip this step, as peeled paint will not only look unsightly, but can and will lead to bigger problems further down the road.

As for a top coat of paint, using Behr's Marquee line of coatings in semi-gloss form have enough durability to withstand kid's handprints and not too shiny to show every brush or roller mark. They come in sizes as small as 8 ounce testers, which can make them great for projects like this.

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding your project, and if possible, upload an image of your finished design! We would love to see it here!

Joseph

Posted 2018-08-07T00:40:09+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+