Sign In to join the community | Help


How to change a whole-house water regulator

I was told I needed to install a whole-house water regulator because my water pressure was so high it might damage my appliances and plumbing.  I did several years ago, but now the conditions causing my water pressure to be high in the first place has changed, and my water pressure is too low.  Can the water pressure regulator be adjusted to increase my water pressure?  If so, how do you do it?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-07-13T20:03:00+0000  by mariewoods1575 mariewoods1575
I just grabbed a convenient picture.  The 1/2" refers to the size of the pipe that the regulator accepts and the arrow denotes the direction of water flow.

A good plumber would have installed a pressure gauge or a port to attach one.  The other option to hook one up to a hose bib like is shown in this picture.

I don't know if Home Depot sells one but Amazon does and they're pretty cheap.  Have a helper watch the gauge as you make adjustments.  Communicate with cell phones.  I'd probably go about 1/4" turn at a time.  The regulators typically have an upper limit built into them so you're not likely to blow up your plumbing.

Best Answer

Posted 2014-07-15T12:21:00+0000  by Adam444
Typically there is an adjusting screw on the top of the regulator.  It may have a lock nut under it.  Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw.  It should be clockwise to increase pressure and counterclockwise to decrease pressure.  Once you've reached the desired pressure, re-tighten the lock nut if there is one.

Posted 2014-07-13T21:44:45+0000  by Adam444
Thank you, Adam444, very much.  I don't suppose there are any marks or settings to show you how much to turn the screw to get a desired result?  Does the arrow and 1/2 pictured on the bottom of the regulator mean anything?

I am wanting to increase water pressure, so thank you for telling me which way to turn the screw.  The fun part will be crawling under the house to find the regulator!  
Posted 2014-07-14T23:20:50+0000  by mariewoods1575
I forgot to add that some regulators have a hex head screw.  Before you crawl under the house you may want to bring a small adjustable wrench along with a screwdriver.
Posted 2014-07-15T12:22:23+0000  by Adam444
Thanks again for the help.  Especially that part about a hex nut.  My house is narrow, but long.  I will have to crawl all the way from one dark end to the other to get to the regulator!
Posted 2014-07-15T16:23:43+0000  by mariewoods1575
 My house is narrow, but long.  I will have to crawl all the way from one dark end to the other to get to the regulator!

What fun would it be if the regulator was somewhere that didn't require a long crawl under a dark house.  We have a crawl under part of our house too.  Before I ran the wiring for the hot tub I used about three big cans of bug spray before I went in. ;-)

One of these can come in handy...

Posted 2014-07-16T02:40:55+0000  by Adam444
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question