Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

How to kill cast iron plants

how would i kill cast iron plants taking over my back yard. also how would I kill wooded bushes?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-10-17T19:28:49+0000  by afterburn25 afterburn25

If you are looking for a chemical solution, RoundUp® (glyphosate) should work.  Obviously there are more "organic" solutions including digging up the plants.  Iron plant grows from rhizomes, you have to get all of those out of the ground.  You could also cover them with black plastic for a couple of weeks to kill the plant and then dig up the rhizomes.

Triclopyr (found in Ortho's Brush-B-Gone and other brands) is typically used for woody plants and I believe RoundUp® sells a version of it's product that includes both glyphosate and triclopyr.  One idea for woody plants is to take an empty, disposable water bottle and put whatever chemical you want to use in it.  Dig a small hole or use rocks to stabilize it, and then stick the freshly cut end of whatever woody plant you want to kill in bottle.  The plant will absorb the chemical through the stem, where it will go to the roots and eventually kill the plant.

While technically it's a violation of Federal law for not following label directions, I've found that glyphosate at twice the regular rate and triclopyr at the regular rate kills about anything (but I've never encountered glyphosate resistant plants).  In any case, read the label directions and remember that glyphosate will kill flowers and grass.
Posted 2020-10-17T20:58:17+0000  by Adam444
Hi afterburn25,

Adam444, is not an associate of the Home Depot and his opinions and recommendations are his and his alone and not those of The Home Depot. We never recommend using any product in a manner other than the label directions.

Please remember to use the proper personal safety items such as rubber gloves, safety goggles, a good quality respirator as well as long pants and a long sleeve shirt for skin protection when using any garden chemicals. Roundup and its active ingredient glyphosate, have been associated with cancer in humans who have been exposed to it, so use it with caution, and keep all pets and children well away from the treated area.

Mike
Posted 2020-10-19T21:39:43+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+