Sign In to join the community | Help
Our Workshops

How to paint over wood paneling in a basement. Do the grooves need to be spackle.?

I want to paint and cover the grooves in the wood paneling that is on my walls in an older Mobile Home.

do you have workshops for this or can someone just tell me how to do it?  do you just spackle and

sand like you wood to cover up any holes?

Thank you

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-02-06T11:53:40+0000  by Mbogie2 Mbogie2

Hello Mbogie2!


You couldn't be more correct!


The grooves in paneling can be filled with water-based or solvent-based filler.


The solvent-based filler is more flexible, so I would lean toward that product for a longer lasting repair.

MH Ready Patch.jpgOnce dry, sand with 220-grit until smooth.


Paneling is typically surface coated with polyurethane, so I would also lean toward the oil-based primer for better adhesion.


Primer can be tinted to be similar to your new color.


Be prepared to show your Paint Associate the color and they'll add tint before they shake.

Zinsser Cover Stain.jpgOil primer can be coated with either water-based or oil-based paint.

Once again, the oil product will be more durable ... but if you prefer, use water-based paint.


One coat of primer and two coats of paint should complete your transition.

Posted 2014-02-06T14:23:00+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL


The one area that may possibly give trouble is the actual joint between the panels. My experience is that they aren't always secured well. If there is any movement, it must be secured, or the patch will simply break loose.


Even if secured, if you are in a climate with  swings of heat and humidity with the seasons, it is possible that cracks can develope at these joints, as they tend to expand and contract with the seasons. Taping of these joints with fiberglass tape might help the situation, but it is no guarantee.


I might suggest an alternative to patching all the cracks: An interesting and room lightening effect can be had by priming and painting the paneling without filling the grooves and then giving the walls a light coat of glaze using a stiff brush to give long, continuous striations from top to bottom. The glaze and subtle striations add a new interest to the old, usually dark paneling.  The glaze tends to get stuck in the grooves and actually adds visual interest to the wall. Manufacturer housing and RV's tend to "OD" on wood.


In later years, I painted out many a 1960's/70's  dark paneled family room as a relatively inexpensive way to lighten up the area. Even just plain paint can look interesting. I always back brushed the paneled "boards" to give them a more finished look over that left by merely leaving the roller texture.


In terms of labor involved,glazing is probably a trade-off as opposed to filling the grooves. One thing for sure, the glaze cannot break loose from the grooves.


Just a thought as to possible alternatives.

Posted 2014-02-06T15:01:30+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question