Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

How to wire a replacement ballast with different wiring?

I purchased a GE proline ballast replacement for a two lamp flourescent fixture, 48" each lamp.  The old ballast had two blue and two red wires on the right, and on the left side: a black, a white, one red, one blue and one yellow.  The black connects to a red power wire in the ceiling, the white to the whtie neutral, and the single red, blue and yellow wires all connected to matching wires on the fixture to the left.  The two blues and reds on the right connected to matching fixture wires on the right.  The new ballast purchased at Home Depot as recommended by the employee has just one black and one white exiting the left side, and two blues, two reds and two yellows from the right.  "Follow the colore-coded wiring diagram" was the recommendation, yet after connecting all like colors on the new ballast to the fixture, all I got was a delayed, dim light at the base of each fluorescent bulb.  I suspect the wiring is not as simple as described.  So, how to wire the new ballast to my fixture so it works?  Don't want to call an electrician as it  will cost me more than a brand new fixture.  Thanks in advance for any help on how to wire correctly.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-15T19:01:58+0000  by MarkDM MarkDM

Can you give the model number of the ballast you purchased?  It will look something like this:

GE240RS120R

What kind of lamps is the fixture using now?  

Posted 2013-12-15T19:29:16+0000  by Adam444

Sure: GE-240-RS-MV-N-DIV
Fixture uses two 4 ft, 34 watt, T12 bulbs.

Posted 2013-12-15T20:10:32+0000  by MarkDM

Here's a larger view of the wiring diagram.

Notice how both the red and blue wires go to one lamp.  The yellow wires are, for lack of a better description, are "shared"  so pin 1 of lamp 1 and pin 1 of lamp 2 go one yellow wire.  Pin 2 of lamp 1 and pin 2 of lamp 2 go to the other yellow wire.  Is this how you have it wired?

Other thoughts:

• Bad ballast
  • Improper grounding.  You didn't say anything about a ground wire coming of the ballast yet the diagram indicates there is one.  Is the fixture grounded?
  • Play around with the lamps.  Remove/reinstall.  Switch them.
Posted 2013-12-15T20:57:14+0000  by Adam444

Thanks for this.

A couple of distinctions with what I am dealing with2013-12-15 16.09.31.jpg:

1) there is no green wire coming out of the left of the ballast: just one black and one white.

2) from the left side, there is one red, one blue and one yellow wire that are not reflected in the diagram below.  I have indeed connected the two blue on the right side of the ballast with the two blue on the right side of the lamp as well as the two red with the two red.  The two yellow I had originally connected to the single yellow on the left.  But then, what to do with the extra red and blue of that same left-hand trio?  I initially bundled the extra left-hand red with the four red on the right-hand side, and the same with the extra blue, but this did not work.

3) Yes, the fixture is grounded.

4) The lamps are brand new, and I did switch them.  Still no luck.

Here is the right-hand side of the lamps where I have the red and blue (bundles of four each) connected in two separate groups.  In this picture, the two yellow are NOT connected to the single yellow on the left hand side:

2013-12-15 16.09.40.jpg

Posted 2013-12-15T21:17:56+0000  by MarkDM

Can you post a picture of the wiring diagram from the original ballast?

Posted 2013-12-16T02:57:20+0000  by Adam444

Sure.  And on the more inclusive photo, you can see how the wiring reflects what I have on the actual fixture:

2013-12-16 05.11.05.jpg2013-12-16 05.11.15.jpg

Posted 2013-12-16T10:13:29+0000  by MarkDM

I was able to get the light to work, but then it went out on its own.  I think the ballast is fine, but there is no ground, which is why I believe the light went out.  Suggestions on grounding the lamp to a juncture box that has no ground wire?

Posted 2013-12-17T00:10:33+0000  by MarkDM

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+