Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

I have a concrete porch that is painted and I would like to redo it. How do I begin?

I have a concrete porch that is painted and I would like to re paint it. How do I begin?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-04-20T16:56:21+0000  by Carlahova Carlahova

Hi Carlahova.

Your first step is to clean the patio off.  Using a pressure washer will be the easiest way to do this.  It will remove the dirt and grime and any loose paint chips. If you want a smooth surface, you may need to sand the surface in a few spots where the old paint has chipped. Use a 150-grit sandpaper to smooth out the surface.  

Using an Orbital Sander for larger surfaces is a good idea.  Use a damp cloth or mop to remove any debris from the sanding.

If the surface is in poor condition, you may want to use a concrete primer such as Rust-Oleum or BEHR prior to painting your concrete.

Using a roller and a Paint Extension Pole will make the application easier.

Glidden has a great Gripper paint for surfaces to prevent slipping on damp surfaces.

Christine from our Atlanta Office has a great previous post on Painting a concrete floor:

http://community.homedepot.com/howto/DiscussionDetail/Preparing-a-flooded-basement-floor-for-repainting-9065000000004pd

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2017-04-21T17:43:15+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+