Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

I just bought a 24" Roto Planter or auger for drill holes in the soil for tulip bulbs. My B

I just bought a 24" Roto Planter or auger for drilling holes in the soil for tulip bulbs. My B&D 7 volt 3/8" cordless drill does not have adequate power to drill 6" holes in flower bed soil to plant tulip bulbs. I need a suggestion with enough power, volts, torque, rpms to use the auger without too much weight or cost.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-02-09T15:30:45+0000  by AmHistoryTeacher AmHistoryTeacher

Hello AmHistoryTeacher,

How strong a drill is going to depend a lot on how hard and or dense the ground in you area is. I recommend a corded drill with a 3/8" chuck or larger. Powerwise pick something with no lower than 6amps. Remember when using a auger the technique isn't the same as when drilling a common hole in like say wood. Let the auger work it's way down into the earth then pull it back out so it can fling away any loose soil. Repeat this motion until the hole reaches the wanted depth. I've linked to the corded drill category most of which have a 3/8" chuck. Be sure to check the amperage and pick a drill that meets your project budget needs. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted 2018-02-12T15:32:24+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL
Hello AmHistoryTeacher.

I can give you my experience using a bulb auger.  My 18 volt Makita cordless drill will easily bore 50 bulb holes and still have battery power left.  It uses a 1.5 amp-hour (half size) battery and is quite light and compact.  Other brands of competing design should perform similarly.  If the drill you buy has switchable low and high speeds, always pick low speed to utilize maximum torque.  High rpm is not desirable when using a soil auger.

This is not the least expensive option though.  A noted above, a corded drill can cost far less, perform as well and never run out of power.

Chris.

Posted 2018-02-13T16:20:36+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+