Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

I need advice on how to install a shut off valve to main water line I can get to, to turn off without burying it

How am I to install a shut off valve, to the main water line, I can turn off, without burying it??    The main water line goes from the tap to my 'home', then out to a barn.  I am installing connections in the barn, but, come winter, I want to turn the water off, from the 'house' to the barn..how would I install a shut off valve, and use it, without burying it, yet, keeping the main line buried??
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-07-20T02:33:41+0000  by Pollywalley Pollywalley

How does the water line to the barn leave the house?  Under or above ground?
Posted 2014-07-20T03:21:34+0000  by Adam444
All the main water line is under ground..includes from house to barn.
Posted 2014-07-20T16:28:35+0000  by Pollywalley
All the water line is under ground & is 1"
Posted 2014-07-20T16:29:45+0000  by Pollywalley
Hello Pollywalley.

If you cannot install a shutoff valve in your basement, and the pipes are buried, then there is no answer to this question beyond plumbing your barn line to come up into the house and installing a shutoff there.

Pictures or diagrams would be really helpful.

Chris.

Posted 2014-07-22T17:59:48+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Your answer is to install a Deep Meter Box over the pipe and install the shut off inside the box.

The meter box has a lid that can be removed when you need to turn off water to the barn.

NOTE:
Simply turning off water to the barn will not clear the lines and they can still freeze.

Consider adding a Drain Valve at the lowest point on the line between your house and the barn.

This will allow you to completely drain the water after you shut off the valve inside the meter box.
Posted 2015-11-05T21:48:36+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+