Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

I want to purchase a basic built-in dishwasher with-out bells an whistles. (less maint). Any ideas?

I currently have a Bosch high end ($1400) which has given nothing but headaches. I wish to purchase a basic, no bells and whistles (less problems) built-in stainless dishwasher. Probably something without a ton of electronics. Any ideas. I was thinking of maybe a Frigadaire or Whirlpool. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-11T19:06:12+0000  by slay slay

I might suggest that Consumer Reports might be a good place to start your research.

Many appliance brands are owned by the same parent company.  For example, Whirlpool Corporation makes Amana, Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Maytag, and Whirlpool.  AB Electrolux makes Electrolux, Frigidaire, Gibson, and Tappan.  General Electric makes both GE and Hotpoint.

Posted 2013-12-11T22:47:33+0000  by Adam444

The $1400 Bosch DWpiece of junk  I mentioned was recommended by Consumer Reports. Enough said about that. I figure my best research will be asking for  someone's input who already owns a particular DW. Thanks anyway!!

Posted 2013-12-13T13:23:36+0000  by slay

Years ago I bought a Panasonic TV based largely on Consumer Reports recommendation that the brand was reliable.  When I brought it home from the store it didn't turn on.  Took it back, got an identical model, and it was working 18 years later.

The problem with appliances (and most anything) is by the time an individual has enough experience with reliability, the model has been discontinued.  I can tell you we have a KitchenAid dishwasher for about 6 years now and overall it's been fine.  There was a component failure early on but that was covered under warranty.  Does than mean the KitchenAid dishwasher you buy today will be as reliable, more reliable, or less reliable?  Who knows.

At the same time we bought a KitchenAid range and 'fridge.  The range's control board was repaired twice under warranty and the 'fridge has been troublefree.

My mother-in-law bought high end GE Cafe appliances ('fridge, microwave, and range) 4 years ago.  The 'fridge went after 18 months.  Of course it was out of warranty but GE was "nice" enough to sell her another one for $700.  The microwave's control board went at about 34 months.  List price on the control board - $650.  That week Sears had the Cafe microwave on sale for $710.  The range has been trouble free.  She also has a Bosch dishwasher that's older than the GE stuff and it's been working fine.

Anymore I think it's just a crap shoot. :smileyfrustrated:

Posted 2013-12-13T15:45:23+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+