Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Install Jeld Wen sliding door in Existing Opening Concrete Block Wall

I purchased a Jeld Wen Premium Atlantic Vinyl 3800 sliding door 79.5 x 71.5.  The opening in the concrete Block wall is 81 x 74, What should I use and how should I install the door including the  and any flashing that is needed.  The door has the nailing fin attached 

Thanks

Dan

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-13T00:06:46+0000  by dpage dpage

Hello dpage, and welcome to the community!

In order to install the patio door you will need to reduce the opening to a Rough Opening of 72"wide x 80" high, Rough Opening refers to your stud to stud opening size. You will need to add wood to your block wall, this is considered your build in, as you need to reduce the size of the opening. 

I am including a link HERE, these are the instructions directly from Jeld-Wen for you to install the Vinyl Patio Door, and they explain in great detail with pictures, so I'm sure you will have no problem getting it done right.

Posted 2012-03-15T15:49:33+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Thanks for your reply, I have a few questions

I need to reduce the size of the opening by 1 1/2" on the top and 2" on the side, is it best to use one piece of wood to fill this gap or build it up with layers of wood?

Do I use tap cons  and construction adhesive to attach wood to concrete block?

Do I use flashing as the bottom of the door only?

This unit has the nail fin around the perimeter, is that all I use to attach the door to the buck frame?

Does the bottom of the door rest on the concrete slab for installation or is wood used there also?  In my case the rough opening would be reduced 3/4" at the top and 3/4" at the bottom.

Thanks

Dan

Posted 2012-03-19T23:58:03+0000  by dpage

Tangel

Are you still out there?  I am  ready to go just need a little more info.

Thanks

Dan

Posted 2012-03-24T11:42:56+0000  by dpage

Hello dpage, and welcome back!

Sorry I wasn't able to respond back to you sooner.

You asked...

"I need to reduce the size of the opening by 1 1/2" on the top and 2" on the side, is it best to use one piece of wood to fill this gap or build it up with layers of wood?"

To reduce the rough opening to the needed size of 72"wide x 80" high, you can use one piece of wood or you can also use strips of plywood to achieve the desired thickness.

"Do I use tap cons and construction adhesive to attach wood to concrete block?"

Yes, you can use Tapcons and construction adhesive to secure the wood frame to the block.

"This unit has the nail fin around the perimeter, is that all I use to attach the door to the buck frame?"

On page 6 of Installation guide Premium Atlantic Vinyl Patio Door, there is a step-by-step process to follow depending on your conditions, for example, if you are installing with a nailing fin versus not with a nailing fin. In the Installation guide, there it will show you what materials and tools you will need to do the install. 

"Does the bottom of the door rest on the concrete slab for installation or is wood used there also? In my case the rough opening would be reduced 3/4" at the top and 3/4" at the bottom."

If your surface is concrete or wood, follow the Installation Guide on page 3, there they talk about using a Sill Pan underneath the door on the surface of either the concrete or wood surface. Make sure if you have a wood surfrace, check for rot, and replace with Pressure Treated wood. This Sill Pan may be in stock at your store, or your can order it from Jeld-Wen , or you can make it yourself with sheet metal from your Home Depot. The other item to seal the bottom is to use a rubber strip, it's called Protecto Wrap Window and Door Sealing/flashing Tape.

Here are a few pictures of the Sill Pan & Protecto Wrap being used.

Apply flashing.JPG

Installing a sill pan-001.JPG

Posted 2012-03-29T15:36:18+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
"Does the bottom of the door rest on the concrete slab for installation or is wood used there also? In my case the rough opening would be reduced 3/4" at the top and 3/4" at the bottom."
My installation would have the bottom of the door on the concrete, in that case the nail fin would line up with the concrete slab.  Should I use tap cons into concrete at the bottom nail fin or install 3/4" of wood so I can nail or screw into the wood?
Thanks again
Dan 
Posted 2012-03-30T00:11:42+0000  by dpage

Hello Dan, there is a notation on page 7 in the Jeld-Wen instructions about having "No Fin", even though you wont have a fin at the bottom, you can still anchor it into the concrete, see picture below.

You can use the Tapcons to anchor into the concrete, just make sure you put several beads of silicone under the sill.

jeld-wen premium Atlantic.bmp.jpg

Posted 2012-03-30T15:05:25+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

There is what I assume is a nail fin on the bottom.

Are there covers that pop off the sides top and bottom that once removed reveal the mounting screw locations in the frame?

Thanks for the help

Dan

Posted 2012-03-30T20:35:32+0000  by dpage

Hello Dpage, The nail fin that's on the bottom you can cut it off with a utility knife if you plan on placing the door directly on the concrete, if you want to use the nail fin, then you will need to add a pressure treated board on the concrete then go from there following the instructions as listed previously. 

You mentioned in your original post that you had purchased the door, you may want to check and see if there are mounting holes present. Sometimes the vendor will put the plugs or covers in a plastic bag and attach the bag to the top or side of the door.

Posted 2012-03-30T20:51:30+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Tangelo

There are no holes in the top or sides of the door, so I will use the nail fin.

I believe I am ready to go, thanks for your patience and help.  Now to gather the rest of the items I need so this goes smoothly.

Thanks again

Dan

Posted 2012-03-31T12:50:29+0000  by dpage
About how many tapcons should I use to secure the buck to the opening?
Thanks
Dan
Posted 2012-04-02T06:54:37+0000  by dpage
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+