Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Installing Roll Shutters for windows

Hello all,

We are looking to possibly install a roll shutter protective barrier over our house's windows and patio door. Was wandering if any of you have had these installed on your home? Do they freeze up in the winter? What brands have you dealt with and is there anything to watch out for? What are the negatives, if any? Found some here locally, in Calgary. https://securityshutter.ca/

Thank you in advance,
Alex
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-03-12T05:48:23+0000  by AlexanderRK AlexanderRK

Hello AlexanderRK and welcome to the Community.

At this time, Home Depot does not carry Roller shutters.  I spoke to several manufacturer of exterior roller shutters, including the Security Shutter Company that you mentioned.  Their designs address all types of weather conditions.   One of the manufacturer stated that if your roller shade is encased in ice from a freak freezing rain it might not function properly but in most cases, they will perform well.

I personnel do not have experience this roller shutters.  I live in Chicago where we experience a wide range of weather conditions including polar vortex temperatures, 50-degree temperature swings in a matter minute, freezing rain and many other extreme conditions.  During those, time a certain amount of command sense must be use with any mechanisms. 

I suggest you visit the web sites of several manufactures in your area.  Read the information and you can contact them directly.  In addition, you can contact your local municipal building department or the better business bureau to find un-bias opinions of these companies.   

I would love to hear about any feedback you receive.  Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2019-03-14T16:54:16+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+