Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Installing an Envirotile Patio

We are in the process of installing an Envirotile paver patio. We moved the sod from the area where we want the patio and dug down about 5" and put down 2" of base. Now that we have this enormous pile of dirt in the middle of our yard, we are wondering if we can use the dirt instead of buying paver sand for the next layer. If not, can we at least use it as a layer over the gravel base and then add a top layer of sand.  We have no idea what else to do with the mountain of dirt! Seems like Envirotile is easier to install than a generic paver, so I don't want to over-engineer this project. Any tips are greatly appreciate!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-30T01:20:00+0000  by kjdemass kjdemass

Hello kjdemass and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here!

It sounds like you have been busy creating a new patio – just in time for summer.   The manufacturer recommends that you prepare the ground in the same way you would for traditional pavers, bricks, and blocks.  You have done a great job of preparing the area by removing the sod and digging down into the earth. Be sure to level the area and pack with a tamper. 

tamper.jpg     landcsape fabric.jpg

When installing the Envirotile, I recommend using a landscape fabric to stop any future weeds from growing up through the tile while allowing water to drain down through the tile.  It is best placed on top of the ground (earth) to stop weed growth.  Since you already have the paver base in place over the earth, lay the landscape fabric down over the leveled base. 

Now get ready to add the layer of Envirotiles.  If the difference between the top of the prepared patio surface will be below the ground layer around the patio, add gravel to make up the height difference before installing the Envirotiles.  Always make sure that you are tamping down each layer and leveling to create a perfect patio. Be sure to use the connector clips to keep the patio in place. 

As for the other products: you do not want to put dirt on top of the fabric since that would defeat the purpose of the landscape fabric.  Adding the sand layer may create too many layers that will affect the Envirotile installation.

Now for the dirt!!!  Do you have a garden that needs additional soil?  Can you use it to create a raised bed garden or fill in a retaining wall?  You may even be able to share the dirt with a neighbor!

Best wishes on your patio and please keep us posted on your progress.  We would love to see your finished project!

dw58.png

Posted 2011-05-31T14:20:59+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I have a patio that is made out of bricks.  It is old and the bricks are worn and it is impossible to control the weed growth in the cracks of the bricks.  The patio also has some slight dips from wear and tear.  Envirotile sounds like a great way to improve the look of my patio.  However, I feel like I should level the patio so the finished product is flat.  Should I fill the dips with sand? What advice do you have? 

MyPicture.jpg

Posted 2011-06-23T20:00:24+0000  by lrodg

Hello lrodg and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here.  Thank you for the “before” photo – it is quite helpful.

Your plants look great and the grass is green and lush!  Now to the patio.  The Envirotile will be a great solution for you after a few preparatory steps.  You are right- the patio will need to be leveled. 

First, get rid of the weeds.  Can you pull out or chop off the bigger ones?  Since you will not be able to lay down landscape fabric, I recommend using a weed killer on the weeds that are growing up through the bricks. 

ground clear.jpg

A product like Ortho Ground Clear eliminates unwanted vegetation from driveways, walkways, and patios.   It will kill weeds and prevent new growth for up to 1 year.  Be sure to keep the product away from your lovely landscaping and follow all manufacturer instructions.

Next, add sand or limestone screening to level out the patio.   Limestone screening is preferred over gravel since it is smaller and can pack down tighter.  Be sure to use a tamper and level to create a flat surface.  Proper leveling is the most important factor to the success of your Envirotile installation. 

Will you be keeping the wooden posts or installing another edge treatment?  You could place the Envirotiles flush to (tight against) the posts and not need to install the connector clips.  Having a “straight line” edge will make trimming the tiles simple (if necessary). 

An earlier post, A New Designer Life for an Old Rubber Tire: Multy Home EnviroTiles™,  will give additional information and installation tips.

Best wishes on your project.  I’d love to hear about your progress – and see the “after” photo of your finished patio!

dw3.png

Posted 2011-06-24T14:48:59+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

We installed the envirotile over our deck and so far are very pleased.  We have noticed that the tiles have lost some of their color (sun-bleached) over the summer.  Can you re-stain the tile?  If so with what?  

Thanks,

Tom A

Posted 2011-08-21T03:13:27+0000  by tomar405

Hello tomar405 and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here.

I am glad to hear that you are pleased with your Envirotiles on the deck.  With UV exposure, the sheen on the tiles will fade to a matte finish.   The grey color will experience the least amount of color fading (some fading will be noticeable).

I confirmed with the manufacturer that there are no stains or paints available at this time that are recommended for use with the Envirotiles.

Best wishes and thank you for joining our discussions.

dw3.png

Posted 2011-08-23T13:30:44+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL
Can you tell me why landscape fabric can not be used?
Posted 2012-03-21T19:22:35+0000  by jack_2

Hello jack_2 and thank you for the great question – and for joining The Community!

I had spoken to the manufacturer about needing the landscape fabric – particularly on an installation over existing bricks / pavers.   They had a similar installation at their facility using an extended term vegetation killer, then adding the limestone screening, and completing with the Envirotiles on top.  They have not had any weeds or problems. 

If desired, you could place the landscape fabric over the existing brick / pavers as seen in the photo –  after using a vegetation killer (I like the 'one year products" for best results)  – and before tamping in the limestone screening / sand layer.

If you are installing over dirt (ground), you will definitely need the landscape fabric.

As with all Envirotile installations, proper leveling is critical to your project success.

Best wishes on your project. 

dw63.png

Posted 2012-03-23T14:17:17+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I am going to install an Envirotile Patio in my backyard and wanted to know what to put down for base layers if I am going to install it over dirt.

Posted 2012-04-29T21:09:41+0000  by mclaughlin_p

Hello mclaughlin_p and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here.

Envirotiles are an excellent choice for installing on dirt (ground).  You will need to properly prepare the surface for best results.

The manufacturer recommends removing any grass, stones, or rocks and excavating 4-6 inches.  The ground should be level (to within 1”) and compacted.   

Apply a vegetation killer (select one that kills for up to a year for best results) and add landscape fabric. 

Add fine gravel (up to an inch in depth) over the prepared surface and level the gravel layer with a tamper to compact.

Use specially designed Envirotile connector clips along the perimeter to keep the tiles safely in place.

The article, A New Designer Life for an Old Rubber Tire: Multy Home EnviroTiles, has suggested products, photos, and additional techniques that may be useful in preparing your project, as well as a chart showing how many tile and clips you will need for your backyard space.

The manufacturer (Multy Home) has specific installation tips including how to cut the tiles. 

Thank you for joining the discussions and best wishes on your project!

dw2.png

Posted 2012-05-01T13:54:05+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I am considering installing Envortile in my backyard as a path to the chicken coup but am concerned about it remaining flat.  I sometime battle moles in my yard and they seem to like to burrow under things.  If they burrow under the Envirotile before I get them caught, will they cause the tiles to raise and to be uneven?

Posted 2012-06-08T19:17:51+0000  by Rhond
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+