Sign In to join the community | Help
Our Workshops

July- How To Install a Toilet

Come out and learn how to install a toilet with one of our experts.  We will be holding this workshop every Saturday in the month of July from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m:

VIDEO!

• Learn the basic steps for removing your old toilet
  • Discover the wide range of new energy-efficient, money saving toilets available at The Home Depot
  • Find the best tools and supplies for your project

I am ChrisFixIt and you can ask me any questions you have about this workshop right here by replying to this post.  Or just tell us about your experience at this workshop and post pictures of your project.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-24T14:38:36+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL Chris_HD_ATL

I've wanted to replace my old toilet for years. Thanks for sharing where I can find out how to install a new one!

Posted 2011-07-07T17:56:28+0000  by iDig_it

What kinds of water-efficieny toilets will they cover?

Posted 2011-07-07T18:06:22+0000  by DIYEnthusiast

Hi DIYEnthusiast and thanks for your interest. Classes should cover most of our Eco-Options and Water Sense labeled toilets.

Eco-Options endorsed products are those that limit their impact on the environment and offer cost saving benefits like energy efficiency, water conservation, clean air, and others.

For a primer on what Eco-Options is, and to see some of the particular models offered follow this link.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-07-10T17:55:03+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Hi Chris,

I was wondering if this workshop would be helpful in installing a toilet where there wasn't one to begin with.  We are going to try and put a bathroom in our basement.

Posted 2012-06-25T19:09:37+0000  by mrskaymcphee

Hello mrskaymcphee.  Welcome to the Community!

Wow.  Building a new bathroom in a basement will be quite a DIY task.  The workshop "How to Install a Toilet" is really geared toward teaching someone how easy it is to take an existing toilet out and repair/replace it.  This was a 2011 workshop in July and is not scheduled to be presented in July 2012.  However, any plumbing associate at your local Home Depot store can help you to understand the basics of how to replace an existing toilet.

The project you want to tackle is much more involved, especially because it is a basement project.  Don't let that discourage you though.  You will want to break this project down into steps, some that you can do and some you may want to contract out.

An example of the latter will likely be the plumbing of the toilet, sink and shower/tub drains into the concrete floor.  This is routine work for plumbers, but not so much for DIY homeowners.  The rest of the work certainly can fall into the DIY realm, depending on your skill level and willingness to learn what you need to to complete your new bathroom. 

I highly recommend two reference books from Home Depot to get you started.  Much of the work you want to do will be covered in Home Improvement 1-2-3.  More detail on the plumbing work, (except the floor drains in concrete), will be found in Plumbing 1-2-3.

Home Improvement 123.jpgPlumbing 123.jpg

While the Home Improvement 1-2-3 book covers electrical wiring as well, there is a more comprehensive tome in this series called Wiring 1-2-3.

Wiring 123.jpg

In addition, online at homedepot.com there are both project guides and buying guides.  Kitchen and Bath Designers in Home Depot Stores may also be helpful in getting your new bathroom design started.

I hope this helps, and good luck on you new bathroom project!

Newf.

Posted 2012-06-26T14:59:04+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+