Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Kerf weather stripping

My front door is 29 years old -- will the kerf weather strip in stock work on my old door?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-26T18:15:14+0000  by Jackd Jackd

Hello Jackd,

Welcome to the community.

It would depend on the width and depth of the cut that your current kerf weather stripping is inserted into whether or not the in stock kerf weather stripping would work.

Kerf Weather Stripping.jpg

If you have a piece of your current weather stripping left than your best bet would be to take it into your local Home Depot to match it up with what they have in stock. If not they may be able to special order you the correct kind.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-05-03T22:21:04+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

I took a peice of the existing weather stripping to the local Home Depot -- none of the in stock kerf sizes fit my particular needs. The problem is the size of the kerf -- mine is 1/4 inch and all the available weather stripping ia 1/8 inch.

I found a possible solution from a supplier that specializes in Peachtree replacement parts that includes an insert to reduce the kerf to the 1/8 inch available weather stripping. A sample is hopefully in the mail.

Posted 2013-05-04T12:16:59+0000  by Jackd

Hello again Jackd,

I'm glad that you found a source to get the replacement weather stripping for your door.

I was going to mention that you could always glue in a strip of wood to make the kerf smaller but I didn't know if the kerf in your door was too small or too wide.

If they have an insert and you don't have the means to cut a piece to the correct size than it sounds like you’re on the right track to getting your door back in tip top shape.

Let me know how the sample is and if its going to work out for you. I would love to see what kind of insert they sent you so if you get a chance please post a picture her on the forum.

Thanks again for joining the community. We are glad your here.   

Posted 2013-05-08T19:38:20+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

I can't provide a picture but you can view @ Peachtree entry door replacement weatherstripping kerf adaptor and weatherstripping part #'s WS.1 & WTSPKA.1.

I will order enough for one door ASAP and go from there.

The sample that was sent fit like a jewel but the secret is to put the adaptor on the weatherstrip before installing in the kerf. 

Too bad that Home Depot does not carry this product!  

Posted 2013-05-08T23:35:35+0000  by Jackd

Thanks for the information Jackd.

I did look at that website and I think I see the items that you are mentioning. I couldn’t get the model numbers to work but I found the PeachTree weather stripping items and there was a kit with an adaptor.

Is this the kit that you are going with?         Peachtree Kerf Weather Stripping Adaptor.jpg

I’m located on the west coast and have never been asked about weather stripping with a larger kerf so it’s great to learn about it and also have an answer just in case I ever get asked in the isles.

Thanks again for all of the great information. I am defiantly writing this down for the book that I keep in my apron at the store. I have stuff in it from almost 20 years ago now so it’s always nice to find something worthy of adding.

Thanks again for all of your information and I look forward to seeing you next project.

Posted 2013-05-10T17:56:04+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

That's it! If this does not work I will go to the local Home Depot for quotes on door replacements.

Jackd

Posted 2013-05-10T21:16:30+0000  by Jackd

Sounds good.

If you know the manufacture of the door and we can special order through them we should be able to get you the replacement weather striping for it.

Or you can still glue in a thin strip of wood so that the stuff that we carry will work.

Ok let me know how things turn out.

Thanks again for joining the community.

Posted 2013-05-10T22:30:44+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
These weathers are actually dangerous and act as Syracuse, Its important to get a proper shelter and for protecting homes we need to install impact windows and doors to safeguard from the hazardous factors. The proper kerf stripping is also essential around windows. Inside or outside the home, we need protection. So to ensure factors like this impact window and many other useful sources bring us to secured lifestyle. 
Posted 2016-07-16T06:35:18+0000  by RyanWaters

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+