Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

LED Porch Lights

While walking through the neighborhood I noticed some newly installed porch lights on a house that has been undergoing some renovation. I was appalled at the glare coming from both sides of the front door.

The two beautiful porch light lantern fixtures with gorgeous antique glass globes were fitted with new Daylight LED lightbulbs. Each fixture holds two medium based A-19(Standard) bulbs. I estimate from the street that the bulbs used are 60-Watt equivalent wattage with a light appearance of 5000K.

Home Decorators Collection Wesleigh 2-Light Bronze Outdoor Wall Lantern Sconce 

My complaint is that the light overpowers the fixture and makes it hard to see the house at night. I find myself looking at the lights and not the porch! Those bulbs were a poor choice for this application.

Another house down the street has taken a different approach to porch lighting. Recessed can lights were fitted to that porch.

The lights used here are one piece LED light and trim units that make it simple to upgrade old trim rings and bulbs. They are damp rated and can also be used in a shower application as well.

Lithonia Lighting E-Series 5 in. and 6 in. Matte White Recessed 3000K LED Baffle Module

The porch light pictured above has an appearance of 3000K, or "Bright White".

"Soft White" would be slightly yellower, at 2700K.

These lights provide an even distribution of light that highlights the house and porch without glare and distraction.

If your porch does not have recessed cans, there are several options for flush mounted LED fixtures that can be added to your porch.

NICOR DSK Series 4 in. White Integrated LED Flush Mount Surface Mount Downlight, 3000K

Small details in lighting will make a big difference in perception.

Until next time,

I'll see you in the aisles!

-Travis

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2020-02-18T14:57:38+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL Travis_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+