Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Leak - Threaded Angle Valve

I installed a new, threaded angle valve using pfte tape and I can't get it to stop weeping.  I wrapped the threads about 5-6 times and have tightened it as much as possible.  I've seen discussions on leaks and pointers saying not to use too much tape, not to over tighten the joint, and mixed comments on combing tape with pipe dope.  Any input would be appreciated.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-08-07T12:17:40+0000  by Geo69 Geo69

Hello Geo69, and welcome to the community!

I have also read those same suggestions regarding Teflon tape and or Teflon paste. You might want to consider replacing either both or just side of the fittings. I have seen new threaded pipe that was slightly out of round, barely detectable to the naked eye, but  just enough to cause it to leak. 

See how that works and lets know how it went
Posted 2014-08-07T13:56:30+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
What Angelo said.  Start with a new fitting.  If that doesn't work, replace whatever is in the wall.  When you say "threaded" you mean one like this:

Not one like this:

Posted 2014-08-08T01:50:52+0000  by Adam444
Thank you both for your input.  When I went to get the new threaded adapter and valve, the plumbing store said it was unlikely to be out of round.  They said before replacing anything to first try a combination of tape and paste and that many plumbers do this.  They said to wrap the threads 2-3 times with tape and then add the paste on top of that.  Success.  No leaks.

@Adam444:  Yes, the valve is like the top picture.
Posted 2014-08-11T11:47:16+0000  by Geo69
I don't do a lot of plumbing but I use pipe dope (or more technically pipe joint compound).  I don't think I even have a roll of Teflon tape any more.

My guess is that there was a small burr on one of the threads that was ripping the tape.  The addition of the pipe dope filled the void.
Posted 2014-08-11T12:25:38+0000  by Adam444
Once again Adam "Nails It"

Teflon tape is one standard in the plumbing industry, but I prefer Rectorseal #5 Pipe Sealant.

This thread paste works down into the threads as you tighten and leaves a small dam of paste between the threads and body or nut.

It works so well, like Adam, I don't even purchase Teflon tape any longer.

NOTE:
I use #5 Pipe Sealant because it is suitable for both water and gas lines ... eliminating the need for two products.

Posted 2015-11-05T22:09:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+