Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Light won't turn on after ceiling fan removal

I recently took down ceiling fans in two upstairs bedrooms in my early 90s built house.  In each ceiling box, only black, white and bare wires remained. 

I installed an LED from costco, going black to black, white to white and green from the light to the bare/ground wire.  When I turned the breaker back on, they were both VERY dimly glowing (even without the switch turned on).  Turning on the switch did nothing.  This is the case in both rooms. 

I'm wondering what to do next; I don't want to have to hire someone.  I've tried reversing the wires, black to white but it had no effect. 

Suggestions?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-02-05T19:24:20+0000  by dfs411 dfs411

Hello dfs411.  Welcome to the Community!

OK, so you have made 2 changes to fans that used to work but now do not.

Let's start with the easiest change.  Put the "regular" light bulbs back in the fans and see if they now work properly.  If so then all is well, but you can't use the LED bulbs in those fans.  I don't know why, but changing the bulbs back should be the first thing to do.

The second thing you changed is the wiring.  The ceiling electrical box will normally have a black wire that supplies continuous power, a white neutral wire and either a ground wire or a grounded ceiling box.  Black goes to black, white to white and ground to green/bare.  If you have switches on your fan there should also be a blue wire coming up from the light kit.  If you have a remote controlled fan, then the receiver which connects to the electrical box will only need a black, white and ground.

See typical wiring convention below:

Chris.

Posted 2019-02-05T21:02:18+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hello DFS411,

It sounds like you did everything correct in your wiring the first time. With the outcome you're having it sounds like you may have an older dimmer switch that isn't rated for LED lighting. LED Bulbs may not shut off at lowest dim setting: this is caused by the dimmer thinking the bulb is completely off due to the low amount of wattage an LED consumes. 

I would change out the switch with a new dimmer switch that is rated for LED lights, that should take care of the problem. You don't have to use a dimmer switch just one that is rated for LED bulbs. 

Here is a link to a how to guild for a reference.. How to install a dimmer switch.

I hope this solves your LED lighting troubles. Please let us know how it turns out. 

**ALWAYS be safe and turn off your breaker before working on any electrical project.

Posted 2019-02-06T14:50:57+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+