Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Lime Trees

Hi! We bought a lime tree from home depot last year. Its doing great. Last year it produced the tiniest lime (about the size of a quarter). I want it to produce again this year. I read on one of your posts about cross pollination and how citrus trees only need it if you want larger fruit. I was just wondering what I could do to increase the chances of getting fruit this year? Its disheartening to see the lime tree blooming and producing flowers but to have them all fall off. 

Thanks! 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-12T20:01:11+0000  by CDAHONEY CDAHONEY

Hi CDAHONEY.

It looks like you are in zone 6 or 7 depending on where you are located.  Just north of the city near E. Sherman Ave.it is zone 7 but in the city of Coeur d’ Alene, you are in zone 6 while south of the city you are back in zone 7. 

Citrus do not perform well in temperatures below 40F unless you have a Persian Lime, which can tolerate temperatures down to 10F for brief periods but will need to be brought inside during the colder winter months.

Chances are, your lime tree should tolerate your planting zone since it was purchased at The Home Depot in your area.  However, since you are in zone 6 or 7, it would seem that you would keep your lime tree in a pot and bring it inside during the colder months.

Your lime tree could need to have a very bright indirect light in the winter while inside and then be transitioned to the full sun once your last frost date has passed.  This means direct sun for an hour or two until mid-day and then gradually longer time in the direct sun as the temperatures start to warm up.

The most common issue with citrus trees is a lack of water at the drip line if the tree is in the ground.  If it is in a pot, it could need water 2-3 times a week depending on the

size of the pot and the temperature and airflow while indoors.  Keep your citrus tree away from a direct airflow from your heater.

Be sure to keep your lime tree damp but not wet during the summer months and slightly damp during the winter months while inside the house.  Inspect your citrus tree regularly for insects such as aphids and mites. 

Your citrus tree is a full sun plant and prefers 8-12 hours of direct sun but will not tolerate the cold winter temperatures outside.

Be sure to have your indoor citrus placed in one of two locations inside the house, an eastern and southern exposure or a southern and western exposure is best while indoors.  Use the sunniest location you have while your citrus tree is indoors.  

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2018-04-13T18:07:22+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+