Sign In to join the community | Help

Little Projects that will ensure Great Holiday Success

It is 45 days to Thanksgiving and 10 weeks to Hanukkah and Christmas.  2012 is nearly here.  If your home is the holiday destination for family and friends, then now is the time to get ready.  We are here to help! 

ChristineClaret has great tips on Getting Your Kitchen Ready for the Holidays.  DesigningWoman has her Holiday Installation Timeline for those projects that require installation services through The Home Depot.  But there are all those last minute details that can make or break your holiday festivities.  Taking care of these little projects will give you piece of mind when the family and friends arrive.  Here are my top 10 tips for holiday preparations:

water_heater.jpg

1. If you run out of hot water – you will be in hot water!  Check out our Water Heater Maintenance Project Guide for basic maintenance tips.  If your unit needs to be replaced or you want to install a tankless water heater, contact our Installation Services team at 1-800-HOME-DEPOT (select option “1” then enter code 261).

garage door.jpg

2. If your garage door is located on the front of your home, then up to 30% of your home’s exterior is the garage door.  Take a few minutes for Garage Door Inspection and keep your door looking great and operating properly before winter.  Be sure to check the batteries in the garage door opener and make sure the weatherstripping creates a solid sealing bottom seal to keep out leaves, rain, ice, and snow.

Griswold.jpg

3. While you are installing Halloween and holiday decorations, make sure you are Seeing in the Dark with Exterior Lighting.  Don’t underestimate the necessity for safety and security lighting.  Be sure that all extension cords used outside are rated for OUTDOOR USE and NEVER overload them!

chimney brush.jpg

4. Routine cleaning can help prevent chimney fires.  This chimney cleaning brush has a rectangular shape with an open, single spiral design and 6 inches of fill.  (FYI: Santa prefers clean chimneys.)

copper.jpg

5. I like to freshen up my holiday decorations.  This year, copper is quite fashionable so I am already spray painting everything with Rust-Oleum Specialty 11 oz. Gloss Copper Metallic Aerosol Paint.  Now my decorations will work double duty for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

leaf bags.jpg

6. Wet leaves on driveways and walkways can present a slip hazard.  Wet leaves can also block your gutters.  Check out LawnRanger’s Fall Leaf Collection for the fastest and most effective ways to keep ahead of the fall clean-up projects. 

chem Dry.jpg

7. Carpet Cleaning is safer and faster the Chem-Dry way.  Dry in 1-2 hours, the chance of mold, mildew, and bacteria growth is reduced – and the Hot Carbonating Extraction technique is Green Certified. 

Chandeliers.jpg

8. Enhance the ambiance and update your dining room experience with a new chandelier.  There are 12 exciting and exclusive new lighting collections – check out these 4 featured in our Fall Style Guide.  Also consider adding pendant lighting, install a dimmer, or change over to new energy efficient (and money saving) light bulbs. 

range hood.jpg

9. Even the best ranges and master chefs need help removing smoke, odor, and heat from the kitchen.  Our Installing a Range Hood Project Guide gives step-by-step instruction on how to properly install new range hood and includes a materials list and tools needed to complete the installation.

Max Card.jpg

10. For family and friends that cannot visit this year, consider sending a customized gift card from The Home Depot.  They also make great thank you gifts and can be personalized.  Gift cards are available on The Home Depot iPhone App.  For those REALLY last minute gifts, consider sending an e-gift card.

Best wishes on your pre-holiday preparations!

tenderness.png

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-12T16:29:13+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL Eileen_HD_ATL

Hey Designingwoman you have really provided some helpful tips to get ready for having family and friends over for the holidays.

I think we all do the big items on our list; it’s the little things that we forget and cause us that last minute stress.

Great job, we would all do well to start early so we can spend more time with those that mean a lot to us instead of worrying about repairs.

I know I 'll be looking forward to having a house full of family.

Posted 2011-10-13T21:25:14+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Hello foodieken and thanks for the kudos.  I already have enough stress!  It seems like everything multiplies at the last minute and knowing that "the little things" have been taken care of gives me a little more peace. I want everyone to remember the wonderful time of being together - not being labeled as "the holiday full of household drama."

Happy holidays with your family - and enjoy getting all those little projects out of the way!

Posted 2011-10-18T17:34:51+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+