Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Low maintenance backyard

We have moved to our new home in Tracy, CA and are in the process of getting landscaping job done in our back yard. In addition to concrete and brick work, we would like to have low maintenance green lawn. Could you please suggest low-growth, low-water grass or any other green looking natural options for the lawn?

Thank you.
Madhav Datta 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-10T23:18:29+0000  by Madhav Madhav

Howdy Madhav,

Scotts EveryDrop has been formulated to reduce the surface tension between the water and the soil.  This process makes it easier for the water to soak into the soil faster and reach the system. 

By soaking in faster, there will be less runoff and wasted water.  The Scotts EveryDrop drives water into dry and hard soils.   Tests have shown that by using the Scotts EveryDrop soils were able to maintain moisture content with 25% less water over time.  

How much moisture will be retained will depend on your soil and on the type of grass you have.

Apply Scotts EveryDrop just as you would any grass seed or fertilizer.  Follow the setting instructions of the back of the package.  One note to remember.  If you are using a walk behind broadcast spreader, be sure to apply the EveryDrop granules 5 feet apart.  If you are using a drop spreader, us the previous wheel track to align your hopper.

For best results, apply every month.  You will start to see results during drought and stressed conditions.  Scotts EveryDrop is water activated. If you do not receive regular like out here on the West Coast, water in the EveryDrop right after application using your garden hose or your sprinkler system.

• Grows quicker, thicker, greener grass, guaranteed!
  • Contains our exclusive WaterSmart® PLUS coating that absorbs 2X more water than uncoated seed, feeds to jumpstart growth, and protects seedlings against disease.
  • Scotts' most versatile mix.
  • Stays green even in extreme conditions of dense shade and scorching sun.
  • Spreads to repair bare and thin spots.
  • Great for new lawns, repair, and reseeding.

A great companion seed to be used along with the Scotts EveryDrop Water Maximizer is theWater Saver Grass Seed from Barenbrug.  This grass seed features a Self-repairing turf when matured.  This allows for a more rapid bare spot coverage be the new shoots of grass.  This grass seed will grow well in sun or shade.  Barenbrug states that their Water Saver with RTF rhizomatous fescue will anchor itself into the soil faster and has excellent drought and heat tolerance after it has been established.

Regular fescues require more maintenance by overseeding, have more weed problems and they have a tendency to clump.  The RTF has shown that it results in less overseeding, has fewer weed problems and does not have those annoying wide ’leafed clumps in the open areas.

In addition to being a self-repairing grass, the Water Saver Grass Seed is excellent in shade to sun zones.  The special rhizomatous fescue has an excellent color and is disease resistant once established.  This special blend can withstand the stressful weather conditions in the Southwest and other marginal growing zones as well as the colder low winter temperatures.

Once established the Water Saver with RTF can provide great protection against insects and diseases as well as enhanced drought tolerance.  When planted in the early spring the RTF will produce a greener lawn providing it is cared for during its establishment period.  

happy gardening,

Coach Dave

Posted 2017-09-11T18:18:08+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Hey Madhav.

I see you live in zone 9a. It is perhaps a little to warm of a climate for fescue, although it is the only seed that can be put out in fall. Grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia and Centipede will do better in your area. These grasses need to be seeded in late spring or early summer.

You are fine to put down either of these grasses as sod right now. If it were me and I wanted a low maintenance grass that is  not disease prone that grows slower than most then I would go with a centipede grass. Centipede is not very drought resistant so I would recommend getting an irrigation system for supplemental watering. Bermuda is much more drought resistant but it is also much more disease prone and needs more fertilizer than centipede. Centipede is more expensive than Bermuda when it comes to sod but if apples were apples, I would go with Centipede over Bermuda any day.
Posted 2017-09-12T20:18:16+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+