Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Seasonal & Holiday

Make Your Own Halloween Costume

If you are still looking for a great costume and can’t come up with something you like, we might have just what you’re looking for. Here is a great idea that will take only a few hours to make and is guaranteed to be one of a kind.

WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS JOB:

TOOLS

Scissors

Paint Brush

Pliers

Yardstick

Utility Knife

Opaque Projector (if needed)

MATERIALS

8 oz  tintable latex paint

Sharpie Markers

Mini Bungee cords

3 inch thick foam cushion

2 cans of white spray paint

Step 1: Measure and Cut Foam Pad

Start by taking the 24” X 71” foam pad and measure cut it in half with the utility knife.  Be sure to press hard so you can get the cut in 1-2 passes.

Step 2: Spray Paint Foam Board

You’ll want to spray 3-4 coats of spray paint on the front and sides of the foam. This will act as a primer because foam soaks up paint fast.

Step 3: Use a Projector to Draw Card Image

After the foam thoroughly dries it’s time for the difficult part. Whether by hand or with the help of an opaque projector, you need to draw the outline and paint the outline of the playing card. Opaque projectors can be found at any Art store, save you lots of time, and are usually inexpensive.

Step 4: Cut Out The Face Hole and Darken Lines

When you’re done it’s time to take cut out the face hole and use the sharpie markers to darken in details.

Step 5: Punch Holes For Bungee Cords

Use the scissors to punch holes where the bungee cords will go. I use the pliers to bend the hooks to keep them from coming apart.

Now it’s time to show off your custom Playing Card Costume. Don’t forget, you can do a bunch of other ideas using this same concept. I can see; a slice of fruit, a sunflower, french fries, sandwich, cell phone, or just about anything else you can think of. The only limit is your time and imagination.

Happy Halloween,

Coach Dave

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-10-17T00:43:05+0000  by Dave_HD_OC Dave_HD_OC

Great idea!
Posted 2014-10-18T13:42:26+0000  by bmw

Dave, I always knew you were a card, but I always thought of you more as a Joker!

Nice job on the costume!

Posted 2015-10-29T16:05:06+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+