Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

Making a desk

What is the best wood to use for a desk top? Also as the main supports on two sides of the desk I want to make a built in shelving support. What should I use for those base sides? 
Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-12T17:04:22+0000  by ShAnaya ShAnaya

Hello ShAnaya,

Thank you for your questions and welcome to the community.

I would suggest using ¾” hardwood plywood and edging it with a solid piece of wood. This will give you the strength and durability that will last for a very long time.

I would also use the same materials for the built in side shelving units. That way it will be a complete unit instead of looking like you threw separate pieces together.

Apply a finish and enjoy all of your hard work.

Please post some pictures of your project so we can all appreciate a good handmade wood project.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2016-01-13T22:41:17+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Hello again ShAnaya,

I just wanted to give a link to a post that one of our other Home Depot experts did on How to make a Book Shelf.

This will give you all of the basics on how to build the side units for your desk, minus the solid wood edging. Just adjust all of the measurements to fit your needs and you’re on your way.

Thanks again for your questions and please do let us know how your project is going. 

Posted 2016-01-13T23:08:51+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Howdy ShAnaya,

There are many species of wood that would work well. While there is not really a “best, there are ones that are “better” than others.

If you write a lot with a ball point pen, but expect the desk surface to look great, then a hardwood like maple, oak, or walnut. Softwoods will scratch and emboss more easily. If you want something less expensive, more casual and easier to work with, then pine or fir may be good choices.

As for the side supports, I’ve been of how easy Baltic Birch Plywood is to use. It is stainable and comes in 4x8 foot sheets. It also has strength make it the perfect building material for a shelf support.

Happy Building,

Coach Dave

Posted 2016-01-21T19:48:57+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+