Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Marble Window Sill

Hi, we had new windows put in recently. My wife had wanted to do something with the marble window sill we have under our windows, but ended up not doing anything at the time. The window guy said you really couldn't remove it because the window sits on it and is required. I forgot to take a picture of it so I attached a picture I found online to help give you an idea of what I'm talking about. It's not that bad looking. it's just a strange color (maroon-ish) that doesn't match the bathroom now and wouldn't look good if we remodeled either. Anything we can do to change the look of it (paint? ) or can it be replaced? If it can be replaced, how do you do that without messing with the window? Thanks in advance for your help. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-02T14:07:10+0000  by kjpayne kjpayne

Hello kipayne and welcome to the Community.

Is this window in a location that will get wet, like in the shower area?  That will definitely effect your options.

There are several ways you can change the appearance of your window sill.  Home Depot carries Rustoleum Countertop paint kits in a variety of color options.  You can apply it with or without the decorative accent flakes. 

If you have the space or clearance you could install tile directly over the marble sill.  Tile will give you a great deal of color size and style options.

Or again if you have the space or clearance you could install a thin layer of wood or laminate flooring.

Depending on the shape of your marble sill you could possibly use a product called Cap-a-tread.  Cap-a tread is a laminate stair cover that has a variety of bullnose sizes.  Some have bullnoses that cover a 1” thick stair tread. 

Other models have a bullnose that will cover stairs treads that range from 1-1/8” to 1-3/4” thick stair treads. 

Check out the install videos by clicking on the box with the arrow under the products picture.  And for more product information, installation guides and details on the sizes, select the specification tab.

You would have to remove the window and do some demo work to remove and replace the sill.  Removing the sill is a major project and then you still have to install something in its place.

I would love to see before and after pictures.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2015-06-02T14:47:25+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
It is not in the shower itself. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom so it is humid in there, but it's not getting wet. 
Posted 2015-06-02T14:50:33+0000  by kjpayne
Is there a way to remove this window sill and replace it with something else or is that a big project? 
Posted 2015-06-02T14:51:08+0000  by kjpayne
Hello Kipayne again.

It is a pretty big project to remove that sill.  You would have to remove the window.  Demo the sill which could involve effecting the walls above the sill.  Then frame and build a new sill that will be the same thickness of the old sill, so that the window will fit in the space. Finish the surface of the sill with a paint or some kind of covering.  Then reinstall the window.  If you wanted to remove the sill, unfortunately, the time to do so should have been when you removed the old window and before installing the new window.

Charlotte
Posted 2015-06-02T15:00:06+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hi again,

Another way to paint marble would be to strip the sealant off the marble to make it porous, prime it and then use brick and masonary paint.

Charlotte
Posted 2015-06-02T15:09:33+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
I like the idea of painting it. Gives more options in colors. How would I strip the sealant off of it? Thanks so much for your help. 
Posted 2015-06-02T15:28:00+0000  by kjpayne

Hi kjpayne, and Welcome to the Community!

I work in the Doors & Windows Dept at the Home Depot, and I have a different opinion on your question. Usually, in most cases, the window stool is something that you can replace and does not go past the lower sash, as you see in the picture below indicated in red--the window stool is installed after the window in installed and the stool is part of the finished carpentry work. I believe your contractor might have been a bit leery about removing the marble  stool. 

If you have pictures showing the stool protruding to the outside, please post them here. I know if customer that have marble stool, and when they replaced their windows, the installer kept them intact, and re-installed them, but they do break easily. 

Posted 2015-06-11T17:19:37+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+