Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Martha Stewart Precious Metals paint

I live in a 28-year-old manufactured home where the cabinets in both bathrooms and laundry room are covered with an off-white wood grain paper.  I just papered the laundry room with the textured paintable wallpaper from Home Depot and left it the natural soft white color, which brightened the room as I had desired, but made the old cabinets look very dingy.  The paper wood grain had actually worn off around some of the cabinet knobs.  I wanted a paint that would completely cover the wood grain and give a soft sheen.  After much online research, I chose Precious Metals in bone and purchased the 4-inch Martha Stewart rollers and a quality angled trim brush, as recommended on the can and in forums. 

The paint went on very well around the edges and trim pieces of the cabinets with the new brush.  However, the special roller produced a stucco effect, which was not what I was seeking.  I wanted a flat shimmery surface, which was ultimately achieved using a high density foam roller.  When I returned to the store to pick up the foam roller, that's when I first saw the examples of finishes with this paint far above eye level in the display. 

From all the reviews I read on this product before purchasing it, I was very nervous about spending $45 for only .92 gallon of paint (sneaky packaging).   I had a vision of how I wanted the cabinets to look, and I am pleased to say that I was able to achieve the look that I was seeking.  My dingy old cabinets now look very rich and shimmery.  This would not have been possible in a large area with the method I used. 

I hope this review helps other potential users of this product.  Used correctly, is produces a very pretty finish.  I think is it better suited for smaller areas as an accent than for a whole wall.  I used about one-third of the can to do two coats on three rooms of cabinets.  To me, it was worth the extra money to have the look that I wanted, and considering that I do not intend to ever paint them again. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-13T21:21:23+0000  by dianemowery dianemowery

Thanks Diane for the input. :smileywink:   We appreciate any feedback concerning the use of our products.

You are correct in that the product can take on many appearances when applied with different techniques.

The paint base has actual metallic particles suspended within the medium.  This results in a shimmering effect that sometimes causes the particles to face in the direction the applicator last spread it in.  Much like the pattern a carpet would look like just after vacuuming.  That’s why we market the texture roller with the paint – it aids in producing a consistent pattern.

I have used an airless sprayer to paint ceilings with the product and the result is a smooth, consistent, glowing surface.  This is somewhat difficult with most other applications.  It’s possible to achieve the smooth finish by using a very smooth roller and keeping the edges wet.  Don’t get so far ahead of the last roll that the paint starts to dry out. 

I know this can be frustrating… but some paints require just a little TLC to produce the kind of results that make it worth the trouble.

Way to go Diane!:smileyvery-happy:

One more thing…the .92 gallon allows for space so the colorant can be added.

Posted 2012-02-13T22:13:47+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

I have had the same experience as Paint Pro. The metallics, if sprayed, give a nice uniform appearance. It is , however, very difficult to do large open areas without showing some lapping and/or directionality of roller/brush strokes. The Poster had good results because cabinet doors are quite small where you can control the wet time and brush strokes.

I had a customer who wanted a high tech look for the engineering department in his factory. I blanked out the walls with a plain gray color. I then sprayed on a coat of gray metallic paint. I purposely adjusted my HVLP sprayer to give a course spray. The result was a nice uniform hammered metallic look.

Posted 2012-02-14T03:31:29+0000  by ordjen

WOW Diane!!!

You did exactly what many DIYers are unwilling to do ... try different techniques and applicators until you got the result you wanted.

Thanks for sharing your success and your technique!

Martha Living Precious Metals.jpg

A Little History:

When ML Precious Metals first arrived in the store, the ML applicators were not available and the color sample chips were sprayed to create a perfectly flat appearance. Like you, most DIYers found that it was hard to attain that perfectly flat appearance ... although the earlier thread covers numerous efforts to attain that look.

Today, the color sample chips have been re-done using the textured finish created by the ML Metallic Roller.

But as ChattanoogaMom, Kevin, and Ordjen have noted, spraying the product has produced that perfectly flat metallic look.

The container doesn't provide instructions for spraying, so be certain to try different spray adjustments on a test board should you decide to try the method.

Ordjen has given the most detail I have read yet, so try starting with his method and work toward you own solution.

If you discover a method that works perfectly, come back and share.

When you share your feedback here, you help many others who have the same question.

Thanks for the feedback! And congrats on attaining the look you desired by using the ultra smooth foam roller on your cabinets.

Posted 2012-02-14T13:55:21+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I've recently bought the precious metals pink pearl color, and the counter paint employee actually gave me 2 paint cans. One is the precious metals mixed paint and the other is a Glidden satin paint in a similar color that was used to create the metallic stripe pattern that was use in the catalogue. I wanted to paint an entire wall into the precious metal color so should I paint the glidden paint on first before applying the precious metals one? 

It is because the precious metals can said I should use it over a matte and flat paint and not a glossy one, so I'm not sure of what to do. And it also says that I should use a latex primer underneath, so should I get it if I'm painting the glidden paint over it first? And what kind of paint sprayer can you use on a wall? Where could I find the sprayer? I don't mind the stucco finish but I just wanted to know in case I changed my mind.

Posted 2012-10-31T07:46:13+0000  by green_painter
Oh, and should I tint the primer before painting it because I've only bought the quarter gallon can and has very little paint to work with ._.
Posted 2012-10-31T07:48:26+0000  by green_painter

Hello Green Painter!

According to the manufacturer, ML Precious Metals is designed to go over a primer.

I always recommend tinting primer to be similar to your new color.

There is no charge for tinting and you'll add the first coat of color while you prime.

I'm not sure I understand the can of satin paint. If the book to which you refer has instructions, be certain to read them carefully. There is such a thing as striping over Precious Metals ... maybe that is the purpose of the other paint.

I would go back to the Associate who helped you and verify the purpose of that paint.

Project sprayers are available in the Paint Department. You'll find they range from about $50 to almost $200. The mid-range project sprayer will offer more control and should allow you to apply a perfectly flat coat of Precious Metals.

If you have an air compressor, you might also consider a cup-gun. Click the link to read a thread about this technique.

Finally, when you complete your project, be certain come back and share tips about what worked best for you.

NOTE: Unlike any other product we sell, ML Precious Metals requires 24-hours dry-time between coats.

Posted 2012-11-01T13:52:35+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I have done a metallic wall that took many many coats.  It was not easy, but i manage to finish my accent wall. I did use two cans and spent alot of money for it.  Mostly happy with the result, but  I would never do that again..I am not an experienced painter. 

Now, I am doing my bathroom wall which is built in 1925 of plasters with yellow tiles.  I bought the Martha Stewart paint call Semolina-  light strokes texture finish. The paint turn out to be too yellow first painted on and dry to lighter..but still too much yellow...considering it is called semolina.  Also,  I am not sure this texture will cover the irregularity in the wall or use another texture type of paint.

I would like my paint to have less yellow and more off white with slight slimmery and texture to cover the irregular plasters.  

Does anyone at Home depot know how I can get rid of the yellow in the paint..without buying another 60 dollar can of paint and supply?  Can anyone help me? 

Posted 2012-12-11T19:06:47+0000  by Samplefit

Hello SampleFit,

Sorry to learn of your problem!

Lightening a paint color isn't always easy, but in the interest of customer service your Paint Associate should certain try.

When adjusting colors, there are tints that cancel each other.

I say this cautiously, in your case, because I usually create a darker color in the process.

Before you buy the next quart or gallon, go to The Paint Pit, explain your problem, and ask for help.

Not every problem has an acceptable solution, but we will certainly try!

Posted 2012-12-11T19:22:25+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I need advice, I want to make an Ohio State Room. I would love to take one wall and paint it Metallic Silver with the silver flakes like there Helmet then add the stripes from there helmet also. My question does the Martha Paint have this type of paint or can someone recommend any?

Posted 2013-01-06T11:28:05+0000  by OldWildcat

Thanks for the great question OldWildcat!

Start on the right track by looking at Glidden's Team Color brochure.

Ohio State official colors are shown there.

Then go to both: 1) The Martha specialty paint kiosk and look at her metallic paints in half-pints; and 2) the Martha Color Sample board and look at her color cards for Precious Metals.

Choose the product that offers the most similar color and metallic finish to Ohio State Metallic Silver (their helmets).

A quart of paint typically covers about 100-square feet with one coat. Measure your wall and determine how much paint to purchase ... expect two coats.

Improve cover by using a gray/silver tinted primer as your base coat.

NOTE: ML Precious Metals is unlike any other paint we sell. It requires 24-hour dry-time between coats, so be certain not to rush through. After the second coat dries 24-hours, use 3M Delicate Tape (low adhesion) to create your stripes.

This sounds like a fun project!

When done, take time to come back and share photos of your Buckeye Ballroom!

Posted 2013-01-08T14:41:19+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+