Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Mold in my 1 1/2 yr old tiled bathroom

I clean my relatively newly tiled bathroom weekly.  Have tried mold cleaners.  But still have issues around the tiles and the smooth grout in the built in shelf.  What is going on?  How do I fix it?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-11-30T18:33:13+0000  by lisamr12 lisamr12

Howdy lisamr12,

For starters the grout should be sealed. This is because grout in its very nature is porous and becomes an easy home for mold. When it comes to cleaning grout there is:

Basic maintenance cleaning: This is where the simple things like a aerosol grout cleaner and water do the trick. When I was younger I used baking soda made into a paste with some vinegar sprayed over it.

Deeper cleaning: I've had great results with Tilex and an old electric toothbrush. This is a pretty aggressive cleaner so gloves, safety glasses and fan blowing out fumes is strongly recommended.

Stripping grout: This is where you would strip out the sealant (which cleans it like new) and reseal. Typically only done about every 10 years or so.

Some good practices is to let your bathroom air out completely to keep mold from developing in the first place. I even used to dry off the tiles/grout with my bath towel when it was time to wash it.

Consistency is the name of this game...instead of waiting till it's a complete disaster of mold.

Happy cleaning,
Coach Dave

PS, if you out there in computer-land have some of your personal cleaning secrets...please share them.

Posted 2015-12-01T02:01:51+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
As Dave mentioned, moisture contributes to mold formation and it is essential to get the moisture out of your bathroom as quickly as possible.  If you don't have an exhaust fan, add a properly sized fan that vents to the outside and put it on a timer so that it runs 15-20 minutes after you are done showering.  If you have a fan, add the timer and use it consistently.
Posted 2015-12-01T09:43:32+0000  by Adam444
Hi lisamr12,

Removing moisture is the key to preventing mold from embedding in your grout.

An exhaust fan vented outdoors, like Adam recommends, should be run anytime you're using water in the bathroom.

If your space allows, install a ceiling fan to move even more air ... which will help evaporate moisture.

If regular cleaners are not working, try TileLab Grout and Tile Cleaner.

Repeat cleaning may be required if stains are embedded.

Once clean, use TileLab SurfaceGard Sealer to repel moisture and prevent mold from growing.

HOW TO:
Plan to re-seal at least once each year and continue using household tile cleaner regularly.

Posted 2015-12-01T17:32:22+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Hello again, lisamr12,

An addition, after cleaning and sealing, would be Mold Inhibitor ... discussed in this earlier thread.
Posted 2015-12-01T18:26:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Great because of the knowledge you share with us, I will always follow your blog and will share your blog with my friends.

Posted 2020-07-31T10:10:34+0000  by mikalo12

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+