I just thought I would share my last minute Valentines project with you.
I've never done anything like this before so it was really fun to try and figure out how it all was supposed to go together.
I saw one like it on another site and had to try it. I did look up how to get the element out of the center of the bulb. It was a lot easier than I expected.
All you have to do is pull off the bottom metal piece and then chip away the glass on the bottom. I used needle nose pliers to do both. Then I just used the same pliers and broke out the insides. Slightly bend back the bottom aluminum piece and there you have it.
Now for the wire bending. I already have round jewelers pliers so I used those but you can also use a tip of a pencil to bend the aluminum wire around. We carry plain aluminum wire but I used colored aluminum wire that I found at the dollar store.
Bend it to shape and then insert it into the bulb. Set it aside for now.
For the base I used a 2.5" Old English bun foot that we sell in the lumber isle with all of the other table legs. I removed the bolt that comes in it and then drilled a 15/16" hole in the center about 1/2" deep.
Now all you have to do is paint the base and hot glue the wire design in and then hot glue the base of the light bulb to the wooden base.
There you have it a very unique handmade gift that your Valentine will cherish for years to come.
This is a cute idea for year-round projects - especially with the colored aluminum wire! But how did you keep the wires so straight - and arranged so decoratively - inside the base of the light bulb before everything was glued into the wooden base? It seems like there is so little working space.
Thanks for sharing such a cute gift idea!
Thank you Designing Woman.
I would agree with you in that this can be used for any occasion. Just change out the design.
Yes that is the hardest thing about this project. Especially when you’re a perfectionist like I am.
The one with a word I formed it and then straightened it slightly just enough to get it into the bulb and then bent it back. The hearts were a lot easier since they fit right through the bottom. I only had to bend them enough to set just too each side of the center one.
Next I figured out how long each one needed to be and trimmed the bottoms. Now arrange them to your liking and hold the bottoms tight while you put hot glue around all three of them to hold them in place. This will create one unit instead of three loose wires so when you go to glue them to the wood base it will be a lot easier to make it straight.
**I used the needle nose pliers to help keep it in place when gluing it to the base. There was not really enough room to hold it in the right place with my fingers. **
I hope this helps understand the process.
I can’t wait to see what other people come up with. Please post your projects here so that everyone can oooh and aah over them.