Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Need a solution for round 2 of mounting a floating entertainment center to off center studs

So, I've bought an IKEA Besta TV unit (78 lbs) that is designed to be wall mounted. I have a small living room, and with my configuration, there's only one spot to put it, which doesn't line up with any studs. I went to The Home Depot and was told to use some drywall toggles. I used the Cobra Anchors from Home Depot and was told by the employee there that each screw will hold 100 lbs. Nonetheless, after 15 minutes, the toggles started coming out of the wall.

So, now I have 4 holes in my wall and I need a solution of mounting it back up on the wall again.
I am thinking of using some kind of metal channeling across the 70 inches of the unit and mounting THAT to the studs, and then mounting the TV unit to the metal channeling. I want to use metal channeling because I could keep the unit flush with the wall, where if I used wood, I would have it sticking out a few inches from the wall. 

Please help me figure out what kind of metal channeling I could buy for this solution, or help me craft up another solution that doesn't include putting it on the floor.
Thanks!

Toggles:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cobra-Anchors-3-16-in-x-3-in-Zinc-Plated-Driller-Toggles-6-Pack-364R/202527116
TV Unit:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70294508/?query=702.945.08

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-25T18:24:45+0000  by Colby Colby

I haven't used that particular brand of anchor but have used something similar and didn't have any problems with it, although I wasn't trying to hang something that heavy.  Frankly, for something that heavy I probably wouldn't even try it unless I could hit a stud.

I have a couple of ideas.  The first is what's called a "French cleat."  It's been traditionally used to hang cabinets but there are metal versions that would work in your situation was well.  The system has two interlocking steel plates, one is mounted to the wall and the other to the back of what you want to hang.  These are a couple of examples.

Now the question is how to attach things.  Personally I'm liking the second system because the small blocks could be attached to the cabinet at the mounting points that are provided by Ikea.  It comes from a company called "Picture Hang Solutions."   I just found them on the Internet and have not done business with them, nor do I have any affiliation with the company.  That would probably necessitate drilling a hole in the metal block but a machine screw and nut would give you a nice strong connection.  The mounting points on the cabinet are about 24" apart which means you could get at least two screws through the wall mounted bar and into studs. 

Let me know what you think of the idea.  I have another one but it would require a bit more mechanical skill and the purchase a few small tools.
Posted 2016-10-25T23:35:18+0000  by Adam444
Hello Colby.  Welcome to the Community!

Yes, I agree with Adam that french cleats are the way to go here.  Stores stock a model by OOK that is about 20 inches wide.  If your wall studs are 16" on center, then you could use 3 of these and securely mount your cabinet to studs.  LINK

Another option is to use a cleat that is offered online only and is 30 " wide.  Two of these should do for your cabinet.  LINK

Chris.

Posted 2016-10-26T14:01:56+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
I think these are the right direction to go towards. 30" sounds like the best length. The hard part will be making sure that I can get 4 studs within the TV unit. 
I'll let you know what I come up with!
Posted 2016-10-26T18:39:15+0000  by Colby
The unit is about 72" long so in theory you would have a studs at 0, 16, 32, 48, and 64 so you should be able to hit 4 of them with ease.  Combined with some good husky screws (#12 about 3" long or cabinet screw, that should be more than enough to support the weight.

If you go with Ook model you're going to need to find a way to attach it to the back of wall unit. Ikea stuff is usually particle board which doesn't provide a lot of holding power for screws.  If it were me, I would try to figure out a way to use the mounting brackets that are part of the unit because Ikea (hopefully) has considered the weight load when designing them.  If you want to screw into, say, the top shelf of the unit,  use a 1½" construction  (not drywall) screw from GRK or Spax  and would probably drill about a 3/32" pilot hole to avoid splitting the particle board.

Good luck and let us know how it went!
Posted 2016-10-26T20:24:40+0000  by Adam444
Well we finally have it on the wall! We had issues with our curvy wall, so we had to throw on some extra washers for the 2 middle brackets. We let it hang last night before putting anything in it or mounting the doors on it. 

Posted 2016-11-08T20:51:56+0000  by Colby
Hi Colby!

I just purchased the same TV mount from IKEA and am running into the same issues with wall mounting.  I was hoping to ask you how your french cleat method has held up? Also, were you able to get the top of the stand flush against the wall or not?

Thanks!
Posted 2017-01-30T02:16:53+0000  by Devinking88
Hi Colby

Can you share which solution you ended up using? I like the small blocks attached to the back of the unit.

thanks, Jay
Posted 2017-09-18T21:06:06+0000  by JayRT

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+