Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Need help casting out weeds for my backyard to live again

Just about my entire yard is weeds right now.  I am in Dallas Texas.  The yard people did a weed&feed about 1 month ago, but i see little to no impact in the back yard.  What can I do to get rid of the weeds and encourage the grass to grow.  Half my back yard is shaded while the other half is not.  I like the softness of the St Augustine grass, but it doesn't grow well in the unshaded areas of the backyard.  Any suggestions? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-04-21T00:46:48+0000  by mmscott92 mmscott92

Hi mmscott92,

Welcome to The Community! We're glad that you're here.

The Weed & Feed treatment last month probably used fertilizer with Atrazine as the herbicide. Scott's Bonus S is an example of such a product.

Scotts Bonus S 17.47 lb. 5,000 sq. ft. Southern Weed and Feed Fertilizer

After examining your photo, it appears that the weeds that Atrazine targets are nearly gone, but you have grassy weeds that need to go.

IMAGE Nutsedge Killer is safe for use in your St. Augustine lawn, as well as Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede and Buffalo grass lawns. IMAGE will kill cool season grass like fescue and rye, and grassy weeds like poa-annua as well as many broadleaved weeds, like clover, dandelion, spurge and henbit.

IMAGE 32 oz. Ready-to-Spray Nutsedge Killer

Apply IMAGE to the soil and allow it to dry for 24 hours. Within seven days after that, the area needs to receive enough rain to wash the product into the root zone of the weeds.

St. Augustine does not require much in the way of fertilizer, so feed it twice a year (Spring and Fall) and use these specialized herbicides sparingly, when the temperatures are below 85 degrees.

Eliminating the weeds will allow your lawn to fill in where the weeds were after the temperatures heat up in the summer.

Shady areas will not support St. Augustine grass, so you might consider shade tolerant fescue grass in those areas. Plant fescue in the fall. Keep in mind that IMAGE is not safe to spray on fescue.

Keep us posted with your progress!

-Travis

Posted 2017-04-21T13:38:43+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+